Pop Door Security

Kmf

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 14, 2009
Milford, MI
I am going to be putting a pop door in our coop that slides between the wall and can be opened from the outside with a pulley. My question is that the ones that I have seen on BYC don't have a lock on them. Are they coon proof? (Since there is really nothing for them to grab) I would like opinions on their safety!

Thanks

If my run wasn't completely enclosed, I would have put some type of locking device on my chicken door. I have a pulley system that can be opened from the outside but no lock on it.
Coons can be very crafty!

My pop doors are so heavy that a coon could not raise them. They are 2x2' and made of 3/4" plywood. They drop down into the shed and are a good 2 inches below where an animal on the outside could lift them. They also are 3 inches recessed into the building. DH and I tried to raise them from the outside and couldn't. Too slick and nothing to get our fingers under or any way to hold on.

Thanks for the info. Nadine, your door sounds exactly like what I am talking about. I will test it myself also! I would imagine that if we can't open it, neither can a coon!

If you want real security it would be better not to rely on 'too smooth to get a grip on'. Coons can scratch up wood pretty bad, trying to get in, and I would not count on them not being able to rough it up enough to get a few clawtips into for purchase. They really are *quite* strong, do not underestimate them.

Pat

would this help?

gopher boy's weighted pop door (tm). dorky looking chicken optional.

although if you want to be really paranoid (i don't have coons so i don't know if this qualifies as sensible or paranoid) you could attach some kind of vertical strip of wood to the top of the door, (or on the inside of some very tall tracks) which goes all the way up to the outside/top of the run...this would allow you to bolt it closed from outside the run.

Last edited:
mine is a top hinged pully operated with a slide bar to lock. (kind of like a barell bolt) if the door isn't too far from the wall i think it would work for you.
06-09-09037.jpg

Back
Top Bottom