Porcelain D’Uccle wing and foot??

Maryjjent

In the Brooder
Feb 13, 2024
So I posted a few days ago about pearl, my porcelain D’Uccle. She hurt her foot in some way and I’ve been soaking her an Epson salt each day and now I’m playing Neosporin twice a day to hurt Foot. Nothing changing. TODAY when I got home, I let her out of the cage so she can walk around in my bedroom while I go to sleep ( I work nights so she gets to walk around during the days in my room) and now her wing looks all Weird and missing feathers and whatnot!

! WHATS HAPPENING TO MY BABY!!!
C0BDC697-C510-4A9A-8F1F-096D72699728.jpeg
A5F827AD-C9AA-4420-B2AF-913BB0D32CFB.jpeg
DF956CEB-1945-4FC6-8829-ECF9758E5865.jpeg
22A36B9C-B2B1-4504-A7CE-05A1803F678B.jpeg

Is she missing scales on that leg/foot?
Some feather footed/legged birds get irritated skin around the feather shafts, might be a genetic thing. Is the other leg/foot normal? If scales are missing I would suspect scaly leg mites maybe.
How old is she? Did she molt last fall? The wing feathers just look old and worn and tattered, and like they will be replaced when she molts. Do you have a rooster? The feathers on the back of her head look damaged also, that's where a roo hangs on with his beak when he mounts her. The stripped wing feathers could be caused by a roo also.

Is she missing scales on that leg/foot?
Some feather footed/legged birds get irritated skin around the feather shafts, might be a genetic thing. Is the other leg/foot normal? If scales are missing I would suspect scaly leg mites maybe.
How old is she? Did she molt last fall? The wing feathers just look old and worn and tattered, and like they will be replaced when she molts. Do you have a rooster? The feathers on the back of her head look damaged also, that's where a roo hangs on with his beak when he mounts her. The stripped wing feathers could be caused by a roo also.
Hello! Thank you so much for your reply so we thought it was a scaly leg might situation so we started doing the Epson salt soaks and coating it every day in Neosporin. If you have another idea as to what we can do, I would love to hear it. Her other leg is perfectly normal no issues.

So I don’t know about her molting though because I’ve only had her for about nine months as I adopted her from a bad situation. There is a rooster in her coop, but she has been in the house with me for about a week and a half because of her foot injury. And the feather situation just started yesterday.

If you think it may be scaly leg mites then something thicker than the neopsporin would be better. I like castor oil as it's very thick and sticky, vaseline also works,or you can do both, oil the legs and then cover with vaseline. Don't worry about dirt that sticks to it. You have to keep applying every few days, it smothers the mites. It can take quite a while for the legs to start looking better, depending on how much damage they've done. I will attach a link with more info on scaly leg mites.
If it turns out to not be that (I had a roo that had problems with irritation and inflammation on his feathered legs) I would use either castor oil or coconut oil to sooth and I would wrap with vet wrap to protect the skin, wrapped with the feathers going in their natural direction and only just tight enough for it to stay on. That helped him but it flared up periodically, often at molt.
For her feathers, do you know her age? They generally have their first molt at around 18 months of age, but that can vary a lot, so anytime after a year old it can happen, and then they will usually molt annually. If she's young, then possibly hasn't molted yet. That first adult set sometimes is there for longer than a year, and can get pretty ratty looking until they molt. Then the feathers will be replaced with new, perfect ones. And rooster damage makes it worse, more wear and tear on feathers. They generally only molt once a year, so feather loss can take that long to be fixed. It takes a lot of energy to grow feathers, so they don't do it all the time. If she's a submissive bird, she may be a favorite of his and she may be getting more attention from him than the others, resulting in more wear and tear. Based on the feathers on the back of her head, I'd say she's getting a good amount of his attention.
https://the-chicken-chick.com/scaly-leg-mites-in-chickens/

UPDATE:

We decided to take her to the vet since nothing was working. And guess what… pearl broke her leg. The weird feet is cus she’s not using it and messing with her foot since it hurts causing scabs on her foot. 🤦🏼‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom