Porcelain light socket?

yourhighness

Chirping
9 Years
Feb 26, 2010
Happen to come home with a plastic one for my 'bator instead of a porcelain one. I'll probably go switch it out, but I'm curious to know why it needs to be porcelain? Will the plastic melt after being heated for so long, or let out chemicals or something?

Hmmm... Well, I'll go install it then, but there's plenty of time to take it out if I get any opposing views
smile.png

Watch the wattage of bulb youuse in a plastic socket. I used 60 watt regular bulbs last year and it was fine, but they do get VERY hot. I feel safer with the porcelain type.

Plastic will be fine, think of how many incubators are made of wood, or plastic totes, old drawers etc. Your only talking about a constant air temp of 100ish just a little warmer then you;). Your light will only be on itermitently for short periods.
Ken from Maine

Quote:
Hmm... confused me with that part, I'm pretty sure my light will always be on since it's an incubator
tongue.png

And to briteday... I hear some can take from 180-200 degrees?

Last edited:
Quote:
The lightbulb is a lot hotter than the eggs are. If you don't believe me, then hold your hand inside the 100* incubator...comfortable isn't it? Now, grab on to that 60w lightbulb while it's burning and hold on to it for 15 seconds....comfy?

I vote for porcelain just for the "over-engineered" and the "I don't have to worry about it" factors.

Best wishes,
Ed

But your light will go out when the thermostat reaches the proper temp. The light bulb is the heat source. at least on most homemade incubators.

I used two plastic ones in my bator and they worked fine. Also yourhighness the light should turn on and off to regulate the temp in the incubator. Do you have a thermostat? That is what turns it on and off. If you are wiring the light fixtures you can easily include a thermostat.

Back
Top Bottom