porcelain silkies! updated with pictures!**

Amy- I was joking, although I might be interested in a pullet or two. The batch of blacks is *very* cockerel heavy but I've got some nice birds out of it. Your line is combining very well with the birds I have from Calesta. I took pictures of the Feb babies from your cock over my hens and the youngsters from you, but I need to get them into photobucket before I can get them on here. I'm looking forward to the shows this fall.

I have a couple little ones that were supposed to be lavender . I'm sure they aren't but I beleive they are porcelan . I paid a lot of money for lavender silkie eggs and these hatched plus a black with gold redish fuzz . These 2 are only a little over a week old and the only ones that have this color. what do you you think there color is ? Is it porcelan ?
53887_imag0398.jpg
53887_imag0404.jpg
53887_imag0399.jpg
Thank you Tammy.B

Last edited:
I hatched out a silkie out of my project pen that looks like these babies. now I know its a porcelein. I'm so excited.

Hi all,

I am brand new both in this great forum and the field of breeding silkies, but i just got nice buff (hen) and lavender (roo and hen), also some silvers, and I really would like creating porcelain to be very first breeding project, let´s say.
As far as I understand, the way to create porcelain is to cross lav x buff and cross back the lav splits of the F1 to lav, so that the lav dilution manifests in the F2, is that right? Or I´m missing a tone of steps?
Another question that came to me is where the darker head comes from if this simple "recipe" leads to porcelain. Cause I find them outstanding when the animals have a darker grey head such as those posted by silkieluver or destiny. Very nice animals!!!!!
tongue.png
Do you need to start from an special black x lav split? Because my lavs are homogeneously grey and there is not any colour gradient to pass on to the next generations....?¿?¿?¿?

Greetings to all from this brand new member from Spain!!! Merry Christmas to all!!!

Quote:
MUCH better to use a true self-blue (uniform colour throughout) lavender than one that also shows gradients. If it shows gradients, it may or may not be pure lav; there is no way of knowing with test breeding or knowing that one of the parents was a uniformly coloured lavender.

As far as I understand, the way to create porcelain is to cross lav x buff

Is porcelain different in silkies than other breeds? True porcelain is lav over mille fleur. Lav X buff would give a lot of off colors diluted by the lav gene, without consistency. What is the goal in silkies?​

Quote:
Is porcelain different in silkies than other breeds? True porcelain is lav over mille fleur. Lav X buff would give a lot of off colors diluted by the lav gene, without consistency. What is the goal in silkies?

So far no one has added mottled to the silkies; it is a goal of mine to do that once I have a few more mottled silkies (2 right now that I feel are good enough to call silkies, although one has only 4 toes); more in the works.

The original goal was to breed the isabel colouring into a silkie (at least that is what George first told me when we were standing in an aisle at a show with silkies on one side and porcelain d'uccles on the other) Later he transformed his goal to copying the entire pattern as seen on a porcelain d'uccle. Hence the need to breed in mottling.

Far too many folks call out "PORCELAIN" on their silkies when they only have a small part of the formula. It needs to NOT look splash, and both pigment colours need to be very diluted. Too many folks think that one cross will create the colour, and even without mottle, that is not correct.

It is still a variety very much in the project stage, although there are some superb birds out there that have everything needed except the mottling.

No; far too undiluted. Looks to be a grey or cuckoo with autosomal red.

Regardless of the pattern or its lack, the HUE and TINT should be like this photo from feathersite:
PorcelainD'ucclePOz.JPEG

Thanks a lot for the replies.
So, if I understood correctly, diluting buff by using lav in two generations (until to get two copies of lav) leads to what it is colled Isabel (all trhough the animal I understand, with no colour gradients).

And then, by definition, porcelain, is an animal which shows both isabel (diluted buff) and lavender (diluted black), let´s say at 50%/50%. So, please correct me if I´m wrong, what I saw as a darker head in porcelains, means just that they are created from a lavender line giving rise to darker grey animals ¿?¿?

The thing is that, Sonoran pointed out that porcelain is created by putting lav on mille fleurs, and this is the 1st time I heard about "mille fleur". Sonoran, could you please let me know where could I learn what this colour is?

Thanks a lot for your posts, you´ve got great silkie lines in USA!!! And the new developing colurs are awesome!!!! Like the porcelains, the salmon, Sonoran´s khaki project, etc!!!!!
I see I´ll have fun in this forum
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom