Port feeders in the rain

ForFlocksSake

Songster
Jun 2, 2023
North Florida/Panhandle
Anyone have luck with port feeders keeping feed dry when not in a covered area? I have the one pictured below and it hangs in the center of our covered run. Always stays dry inside. I purchased a second one because we’re expanding our flock and our run and would like to hang it far away from the current one to make sure there isn’t a bullying/guarding issue. The new run extension will not be covered, and I’m wondering if this will be an issue. Any insight?

IMG_3268.png

Ironically, we're making a DYI version of yours and just got done discussing this. We live in WI where we get four seasons so stood there imagining every circumstance. We have figured out that these most likely won't take water in unless a torrential rain or snow storm hits, but if we get a lot of rain, splash-up could be an issue. We're just going to keep ours protected from prevailing winds and give it a whirl.

That's not fact yet, but just weird we were literally just doing this. Maybe someone with feed ports in action will stop in and give opinions for both of us. :love

I have 3 of the exact ones you have listed above, and yes, water gets in them, so does heavy dew and humidity, so we keep ours under the run or at minimum build a large cover for them. Blowing rain soaks the feed no matter what, so keeping them under some sort of shelter does help. I had high hopes but no such luck.

Back
Top Bottom