portable cage information needed

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chellebyerly, Jan 5, 2010.

1. chellebyerly

chellebyerly Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Jasper Texas
    My kids are doing meat pens for the 4-H livestock show, I need to find/purchase pens for them. they will be taking 3 birds each, and so I need it to not be real expensive. LOL

Someone told me dog carriers, but then I got to thinking. I am totin, 4 kids, hubby, 8 rabbits and 8 chickens to this thing. And the rabbits and chickens all have to check in by 8am. I dont see me totin a bunch of dog crates. LOL

Now, I do know that with the rabbits they cant be in the same cage, or even accessible to each other. Bordom and not knowing each other (if they are from differnt litters) might make them pull out the fur of the other rabbits. not good on show day.

I've heard about how bad broken wings, bent feathers, etc are in birds, plus bruising is a huge nono. So how should I transport them? what size cage per each bird. I dont know a weight. we are supposed to get them as heavy as possible for the show. they are a cornish X.

2. chellebyerly

Feb 21, 2009
    Jasper Texas
    please???

3. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    Look up bass cage supplies you can buy 24" by 24" cages for $24.00 thats to keep them in I know they have portable cages as well see if you find anything there!

4. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Somebody on here was building show cages and I *think* they were charging less then that. I didn't pay a lot of attention since we don't show, but remember it because the pics were really cute--solid looking construction and hand painted too. Might try another thread with --Anbody build travel/show cages for sale--if you don't get some responses to this one. Hopefull someone who bought one or the builder him/herself will see it and get back to you.

5. chellebyerly

Feb 21, 2009
    Jasper Texas
    Thanks y'all i guess I'll try another thread. [​IMG]

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Some people use appropriately sized cardboard boxes with breathing hole cut in them; or plastic boxes with breathing holes (and for ducks, they use water for bedding, lol!). I took small animal cages and added dividers so that I can put my birds in individual sections.

7. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I went to Ace hardware, bought a cart for like $30 and bungie corded stacked dog and cat crates on it. It held 8 crates and my junk piled on top. Very easy to wheel into the show site. It is a folding cart with a tall handle and strong base. Fit into the car easily once folded and is now a big part of our travels!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by