Portable coop idea

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Big dreams, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Big dreams

Big dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    I am considering making a portable coop with a small lawn mower trailer, I am just not sure how to do it, so I am looking for ideas from you. [​IMG] My thought is to have a coop small enough to lift off the trailer but big enough to roost say 6 chickens at night. My idea is to have it so that the dropping go into the trailer, and also so that I could move the trailer around, or set the building on the ground, (so I can empty the trailer.) I know it is hard to understand but basic idea would be to have the coop lift off and on easily with two people. The run would be moved by one person, piece by piece while chickens in the coop, so panels that hook together? My trailer is 4 x 6 I believe, the part on the trailer would be for roosting and open to the run most of the time. What do you think? Will that work? The only moveable space I have now is a hoop house (covered with a tarp, its ok but it is not for them to really live in. Their living space now is a building, can not move them at all just let them out each evening, but dogs, hawks, eagles etc. can get to them. Makes it a little difficult to have to watch all the time.

2. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Your idea is an excellent one. I to wanted to utilize a small trailer that would allow me to move the birds around and here is the small tractor I built.

[​IMG]

Coming up with a design that would allow you to remove the coop easily might be difficult so I have a door that is almost as wide as the coop and I then built a removeable roost/droppings tray. This is much easier to remove and empty than lifting the house off the trailer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Big dreams

Mar 5, 2009
    My problem is we use this trailer for yard work so sometimes I would need it. The chickens have a nice coop and run but it is mostly dirt now and I like them eatting grass a running about being chickens. I was thinking that maybe when they can't just free range they could use this, and when I needed the trailer they just go back to their big coop. [​IMG] I live in WA state so it's not real cold or real hot so I can get away with a light weight building, mostly to keep wind, rain and predators out.

Your coop is very nice, looks super sturdy and easy to take care of, very good!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  4. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    How about a run that would be their tractor and you could just take the bldg/trailer combo and use it for a transporter that would double as a coop when attached to the tractor? Easy to first drag the tractor run to wherever, being as it would have no building weight. Then load them up and bring them to where you have placed the tractor and hook the two together. Wait until dark to get them back to permanent place, or entice them back into transporter with treats of veggies scraps, etc, them move back to coop/perm quarters .

I would opt for a separate wheels/axle combo just for the transporter and keep my trailer free for other uses. Too much hassle to do what you described, for me. And I am retired and am here all day every day. Am thinking about it for us, but we have 24 chooks, so that is holding me back. Lot of hassle to move that many in a transporter thru a 4 ft gate. Hard to make it big enough to just leave them in it overnight if you do not want to load and take back to pen. Should have done a double gate, but could not foresee wanting to have a tractor option. Terrain is against me too regards location of pen.

5. Big dreams

Mar 5, 2009
    hmmm, thinking on that one. Still just fishing for ideas. I can move my chickens easily as they are chow hounds... a handful of scratch, or oatmeal and there they are!!

6. Ladyhawke1

Ladyhawke1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Opa that is so cool! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by