Portable Fencing project.... UPDATED WITH DONE PIC'S

DirtCreature

Songster
8 Years
Aug 8, 2011
Olympia, Washington
It all started with a dream of being able to fence our chickens in a large yard but still be able to move the pen to give them new grass and new things to eat and not have to keep them in one small area. My bf and I sat down and thought of pro's and con's of having a fence like this, after we decided to make it we started planning. We decided based on the height of the chicken wire (4ft tall) and the old fence posts we have (8' tall) we would build 4' by 8' long panels. We went to a lumber store and bought 2x2 lumber and a sheet of ply wood, as I said earlier we already had the 8' fence posts, and picked up the 4' poultry wire. We cut the 8' fence posts at 45" and cut some of the 2x2's at 45" we cut the ply wood into pretty much 1' triangles. So we made these.

002-1.jpg

005-3.jpg

007-2.jpg

008-2.jpg

001-1.jpg

And of course we where being supervised by quaility control....
014-2.jpg

So then we lined them up in the driveway and layed the chicken wire on it and rolled it out.... busted out the staple gun and the air compressor.
017-3.jpg

018-2.jpg

019-2.jpg

here is the finished product. We will keep them this way for a while then move them to get some new grass and bugs to eat.
big_smile.png

0022-1.jpg

0042.jpg

0062-2.jpg

0092-1.jpg

Last edited:
Looks really nice. I did basically the same thing, except not nearly as fancy as you. I used the chicken wire, and just bought posts like these from Lowes:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_92070-46379...br|0||p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=

These t posts have little hooks on them that the wire attaches to, so you just hammer them into the ground and attach the wire. Not nearly as pretty as your set up, but for someone like me not nearly as talented, this worked well.

Quote:
lau.gif
yea actually we dont have a door for them cut out yet, we had the door under the coop but when we moved from our last house, we didnt put the coop we made back on the stilts. it was just to much work. so until we figure out the door that opens in the run they will just free range the yard.. but atleast we finally have the fence done.... ah... so nice. LOL
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom