Portable modular covered run!

Hi Carol- whether or not you need the electric fence depends on the types of predators that live in your are and the types of protections already in place. They might be ok without in a well fenced back yard in a city with few predators. However I am in the country with raccoons who are willing to wake up mid-day if there's a meal in it for them, and neighbors who free range their dogs. I'm afraid I'd lose my whole flock without the electric fence.

Oh Dear! I definitely have raccoons and other predators to worry about. TY for the help.

How's this working out for ya @StrawberryMoon?
Update:. Last week I came home to find a hawk sitting right on top of the PVC hoop, eyeing my chickens. It was not able to take any of them. However, now that I know our area hawk is bold enough to perch on top, I am taking some steps to reinforce this setup. I'll be closing *all* gaps, replacing the fine netting with sturdy netting, and possibly running some long screws up vertically to act as bird spikes and discourage landing.

I hear ya!
full

I just don't like plastic netting except to grow veggies on and even then it sags. I use welded wire on top of my runs. Feels so much safer. Neighbor in TN lost numerous birds to coons and possums getting in through that stuff. But you pays your money and takes your chances. Good luck.

I just don't like plastic netting except to grow veggies on and even then it sags. I use welded wire on top of my runs. Feels so much safer. Neighbor in TN lost numerous birds to coons and possums getting in through that stuff. But you pays your money and takes your chances. Good luck.
Agreed- plastic fence would never keep out a raccoon or possum. That's what the electric fence is for!

Back
Top Bottom