Porus Eggs....Should I Throw a Fit?

pips&peeps :

Quote:
I discussed this at length with Peter Brown last year. It can be nutritional or just genetic.

I ended up giving my birds a special vitamin concoction I purchased from Peter and it did nothing for the porous eggs my wheatens and blue wheatens were laying.

In my readings about this, I have found it is often linked to birds that are very good layers. It seems the egg travels through the oviduct faster and doesn't get as much calcium laid down.

I really have had no problems hatching mine and do nothing different when I set my eggs.

However, since these are not your birds you just may want to keep an eye on them as it could be nutritional. Not everyone supplements their breeder flock to maintain their health and to hatch healthy chicks.

Good luck,

I always wonder if altitude as anything to do with hens laying porous eggs, too?
Oxygen concentrations are lower the higher the altitude, maybe the hens adjust to it.
smile.png

Carolyn​

And to think I keep telling my wife I know everything. Should I candle eggs before hatching? I notice when I crack open eggs for eating that some don't seem quite as hard as I'd like. Then too some seem to have tough membranes. What types of things affect shell and membrane thickness?

Back
Top Bottom