Positioning ducks for treatment

Galaxyfalcon

Songster
May 25, 2020
Eastern WA
Hey all,

We were doing regular inspections on our ducks and decided to do some little treatments for a few days on a pair of ducks that looked like they might have pre-bumblefoot or really light bumblefoot issues. I've gone back and forth on how to pick up and handle them, and it's always hard when they struggle. Sometimes they're better patients than other times. Typically I'll kneel down to pick them up with a firm grip on either side of the wings, a little lower down so they have some nice support. I'll rest their feet on my knees or legs, and have my partner apply the treatment to their feet. Sometimes they can get really wiggly and I was wondering if there's a better position or a more stable one to support them. The other position we'll use is keeping them on the ground, supporting them, and the other person will pull one foot back at a time and inspect/treat the foot. We used to tip them up vertical held against a chest so the feet were easier to see, but I'm worried about hurting their back in that position. How do you guys like to hold your ducks when treating them? Any videos or pictures?

Also: where's the best spot to hold the duck feet? I believe I read that you should hold high up, close to the body. Sometimes they get wiggly/flappy feet so I want to hold them safely but firmly and want to make sure they don't get hurt.

Every time we do foot treatments I feel like a novice, I never seem to feel like it goes smoothly!

Thanks! The Taco method was the first method we ever tried but we'll have to give it another shot. Our big Pekin (jumbo Pekin?) is about 10 lbs so he's a big boy and the Taco doesn't quite work as well on him...it seems like different techniques work better or worse on different sized ducks.

Back
Top Bottom