Positioning of the egg in the incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lucky chickens, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Lucky chickens

Lucky chickens New Egg

Feb 16, 2014
    I'm sure the answer is somewhere on this site in numerous places, but I haven't found it. I have a homemade incubator, I added some upgrades to it. The one upgrade is the automatic turner. I bought it used, so no instructions. I has eight prongs for each egg. Four "outside" a 1/2" higher than the "inner" prongs.
    My question is How do I position the eggs? Narrow end down? I don't know if there is enough room between rows to lay them on there side.
    Also, some of my eggs are xl or jumbo sized. I'm wondering if I should just do it manually...

2. Klutch

Klutch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2014
    West Sacramento
    Yes narrow (pointed) end down. Go to BYC menu bar and go to the learning center, I have had all my questions answered there.
    Good luck.
    P/s I have a batch in my home made incubator scheduled to hatch on or around 02/23

3. Lucky chickens

Lucky chickens New Egg

Feb 16, 2014
    You know, I read that whole article about 2 hours ago and missed the "or upright with egg turner". Well, to be honest, I get side tracked for a while with the thread on the lady incubating eggs in her bra... which lead to one thread to another.....
    Anyway, Thanks!
    Do you have a thread going, or one you follow? I just signed up yesterday. Didn't even finish my profile yet...

4. red horse ranch

red horse ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming

[​IMG]

5. mortie

mortie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    The Frozen Tundra
    I have the same turner as you have. I'll be putting my eggs in narrow side down and when it's time for lockdown I'm just going to lay them on their sides. If you have jumbos they might fight as long as they clear the heating element and any wires or anything in there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by