Possible Blackhead??

amyaustin31

In the Brooder
Sep 7, 2017
Hi all

I have an older Golden Comet who is at least 7-8 years old. I found her recently doing a very convincing 'everything is ok, see? I'm foraging' routine a few days ago, but she wasn't really picking anything up to eat. I caught her and she has lost weight.

I noticed she has very yellow, watery diarrhea. I searched through the archives here and her symptoms appear to be consistent with a few things! She may be an internal layer, could be cancer, could be blackhead. I did notice one thing before I started researching - the back of her comb was dark. I thought it could be because someone maybe had pecked her or the rooster grabbed her, but when i got home to check her again last night, the darkness was spreading along the top of her comb.

So she is in the sick bay, with some of her favorite foods, but she isn't really tempted by anything. I wormed her 2 days ago with Ivermectin. And last night I started her on Metronidazol. She seemed maybe a little perkier this am, so I left her with her foods and water. I also gave her B complex yesterday and today. Oh, and her comb is almost back to normal color this am.

Does anyone have any experience with chickens contracting this disease? t has been very, very wet her for the past 2 months and with the warm weather, the worms have been everywhere and the chickens are enjoying the buffet. So I definitely think this disease is a possibility.

Should I try anything else? I read about the Cayene pepper some had suggested for a similar case i saw in the archives. But I can't really force much down her right now. She pecks around this and that but isn't eating enough things I could put cayene into. And no, I don't have access to an avian vet. If she doesn't have this blackhead disease then I'm guessing cancer or internal egg laying. She isn't egg bound.

Thanks for the help!

Blackhead or histomoniasis is more of a danger to turkeys than chickens, but some have reported that they have had a chicken with it. It helps to treat for cecal worms, and I would get a fecal float done to look for and identify what worms are present. Fenbendazole or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer 0.25 ml per pound for 3 consecutive days is a good treatment. I would not use ivermectin, since many worms have developed resistance to it.

Yellow poops can be a sign of egg yolk peritonitis or E.coli infection. You may want to post some pictures of droppings.

Ok here is a poo picture. Not the best pic. The yellow is very yellow. This is the first time in a few days she's had those little solid pieces in there.

She is a little perkier this evening. She picked at her food but didn't eat much. Drinking pretty well though.

Attachments

• IMG_3154.JPG
    IMG_3154.JPG
    534.3 KB · Views: 13
To me, that looks like egg material, common in egg yolk peritonitis. I am not a vet, not the most experienced person in the world, but I would either just make her comfortable or try some antibiotics such as amoxicillin or Baytril, available online as Fish Mox or Baytril (enrofloxacin) for chickens. When I lose a hen to these symptoms, I will necropsy them to look for fluid in the belly (ascites) or egg material or lash eggs. These problems are very common in older hens.

Casportpony is pretty experienced with blackhead or histomoniasis As well as egg yolk peritonitis, so she could help perhaps, if you PM her or she sees this.

Thank you. Yes it almost looks like a cooked yolk. I also took a pic of her comb. I've not seen a comb discolor this way or I haven't noticed it. We haven't been having cold weather here until today and she's been inside.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    326.3 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom