Possible blind Rooster

chiki1

Chirping
Jan 6, 2022
We have 2 roosters named John and Greg. We also have another one named Republic who plays a small part. The other day John had to come inside for a bit due to an injured comb, pretty much just some bleeding that happens with him. We had him in a medium/large dog cage we have so he could have time to recover. my mother let him out too early. He started fighting with Greg and later Republic. The other night after the fight we went outside to seperate John and Greg from the flock, as both of their heads were covered in blood. John seems fine, his neck is raw with feathers plucked out but other than that he's completely normal. He reacts to everything fine. Greg on the other hand is more injured. Part of his waddles and comb got ripped off, and there was significcantly more blood. He won't open his eyes, and when he does it seems like he doesn't know anything going on around him. His face is still quite bloody, too. He wont eat or drink, even if we put the tip of his beak into the water or food. He'll stand up but wont move and seems to scrunch into himself most of the time.

We tried to clean off the blood the best we could but theres still a lot there.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-22 at 11.07.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-22 at 11.07.01 PM.png
    860.4 KB · Views: 44
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-22 at 11.07.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-22 at 11.07.08 PM.png
    902.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-22 at 11.07.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-22 at 11.07.16 PM.png
    911.6 KB · Views: 11
How long ago did this happen? Poor guy looks awful. His eyes could very well be damaged. What have you tried feeding him? Scrambled egg is hard for any chicken to resist. Does he react at all to sudden movement, noise, etc? Is he breathing all right? The dried blood could be blocking his nostrils. I would try to clean as much off as I could, without hurting him too much. Do you have a antibacterial wound spray, such as Vetericyn? If so, try wiping it on wherever he's bleeding. Don't spray anything on his face, for danger of it getting in his eyes.

Unfortunately, chickens are attracted to blood, and that causes more pecking. What's your ratio of roosters to hens? How big is their coop/run area?

Wishing you the best of luck for your poor birds, and I'm sorry this happened.

Give him some sugar water or electrolytes, work on hydrating. Syringe the fluids into him if you need to, see link below.
Rinse his eyes with saline, then apply an eye ointment like Terramycin or you can use Original Neosporin in the eye and surrounding tissue.
For comb and wattles you can use the Original Neosporin or Vaseline.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

Sounds like it's time to keep the roosters separated from now on. While he's recovering, you can make some accommodations for them.

How long ago did this happen? Poor guy looks awful. His eyes could very well be damaged. What have you tried feeding him? Scrambled egg is hard for any chicken to resist. Does he react at all to sudden movement, noise, etc? Is he breathing all right? The dried blood could be blocking his nostrils. I would try to clean as much off as I could, without hurting him too much. Do you have a antibacterial wound spray, such as Vetericyn? If so, try wiping it on wherever he's bleeding. Don't spray anything on his face, for danger of it getting in his eyes.

Unfortunately, chickens are attracted to blood, and that causes more pecking. What's your ratio of roosters to hens? How big is their coop/run area?

Wishing you the best of luck for your poor birds, and I'm sorry this happened.
This happened a few days ago. We tried feeding him smaller pellets and I believe eggs at some point. I've made sure his nostrils arent being blocked. I think we might have a wound spray, but if we do I don't exactly know where it is. I believe the rooster to hen ratio would be 1:10, and they have free range for the most part around our yard. our yard is around an acre but the chickens dont come out (their choice) due to the snow we get.

This happened a few days ago. We tried feeding him smaller pellets and I believe eggs at some point. I've made sure his nostrils arent being blocked. I think we might have a wound spray, but if we do I don't exactly know where it is. I believe the rooster to hen ratio would be 1:10, and they have free range for the most part around our yard. our yard is around an acre but the chickens dont come out (their choice) due to the snow we get.
That sounds like a relatively good setup. Like Wyorp Rock said above, try rinsing his eyes our with saline solution. Is he still not eating and drinking?

That sounds like a relatively good setup. Like Wyorp Rock said above, try rinsing his eyes our with saline solution. Is he still not eating and drinking?
He's still not eating. We have put treatment on his eyes i believe.

Back
Top Bottom