Possible BLRW, Please tell if roo or hen

Momoflilgs

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 5, 2011
This little girl was supposed to be a Light Brahma. I posted a picture and someone suggested our mystery chicken is a blue laced red wyandotte. Our chicks are almost nine weeks old. The other two are a Speckled Sussex and and a Buff Orpington. Please let me know if you think she is a hen or a roo. Here's some pictures-

Here is a full shot of her.
85328_fritata_3.jpg

Here is a body shot.
85328_fritata_2.jpg

Here is a pic of the family.
85328_fritata_1.jpg

Between the thick legs, huge red wattles, and large red comb, I believe you have a roo. I'm not sure it's a purebred either.
idunno.gif
It may surprise us and get more lacing in though but I would expect to see more on the chest at this point.

Thanks for the info. I have no idea about the breed because we got the chicks from Murdoch's and they got them from McMurray. I have a list of the birds that were available that day and BLRW isn't even on the list. I am very bummed about having a roo because I'll need to rehome him and find a hen to replace him with. I'm not looking forward to adding a bird because I've heard it's a lengthy process. I don't have a big coop that I can section off the new bird in.

It shouldn't be hard to add if they are this young. try to get the same size and age if possible. Put them in the run and keep an eye on them. If you see trouble, put them in a dog crate inside the run so they can see each other but not go after. They will get used to each other and shouldn't be a huge problem. Also, try to add more than one bird. They have a "buddy" that way and it seems to go better. Good luck!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom