possible breed ID and is this a rooster?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by aafairchild, Nov 14, 2012.

1. aafairchild

aafairchild Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2012
    Hi All,

This is a mystery male included with my chick order. I have 2 that look like this. Any guesses as to breed?

[​IMG]

This beautiful Australorp is supposed to be a pullet. I am starting to think they missed one. Is this a guy or girl? This pic is not great. Bird is not being cooperative. MOre interested in foraging I guess.

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance
    Alice

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    The one in the first picture is a barred rock and none of these really look like roosters but then I'm not exactly an expert.

3. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing?

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    How old are they?

4. Hillschicks

Hillschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    Top one is surely a barred rock... We got 2 of them about a month and a half ago and they looked exactly like that... Very friendly... One has a half black beak, which makes them nameable... Hard to name em if you cant tell them apart lol

5. aafairchild

Aug 24, 2012
    Possible rooster is about 4 months old. Now I am wondering about the breed/gender of some of my other birds. I ordered 2 barred rock pullets. Maybe the larger birds with the black and white feathers are my mystery males. The only ones I am sure of now are the white rocks and the buff rocks. Maybe I should post pics of the other multi colored birds for ID.

thanks
    Alice

6. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing?

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    If both those pictures are of 4 month olds, they are both pullets. Combs and wattles are too small and pale to be cockerels. Agree that the first one looks like a BR and the second looks like BA.

Maybe you got lucky and they sent you a pullet instead of mystery cockerel! [​IMG]

7. aafairchild

Aug 24, 2012
    Actually the bottom pic is a 4 month old australop. the ?mystery bird? is a 5 week old. They have all gone to bed for the night. I will get some pics of the other mystery birds and post since I am now wondering about 2 other birds from the 5 week old batch. I hope my lorp is a pullet but I know sexing is not perfect. Fortunately I can have roosters here.

Alice

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by