Possible broken egg stuck in vent

That looks like a prolapsed vent, and the tissue looks healthy and pink. I would put some Preparation H or hydrocortisone cream and try to push the prolapsed tissue back inside. Keep her clean when she poops, and the pink tissue moist with cream or oil. Here is some reading about prolapses:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic/
Thanks! The tissue isnt out all the time. I was just poking around in her vent and this is what happens

Aloha neighbor,
Sorry to hear about your hen. Sounds like you have been given some great advice here and will be on the road to recovery soon. Don't know what side you are on. I'm Westside. The best chicken med resource I have found is Harveys in Kalaheo, I'm on my way there in a few myself. Aloha Feed and is a pretty darn good resource too. Keep us posted on your hen. We are all learning in one way or another and I'd like to hear what and how things work out for you and your hen. K den, a hui hou!

Aloha neighbor,
Sorry to hear about your hen. Sounds like you have been given some great advice here and will be on the road to recovery soon. Don't know what side you are on. I'm Westside. The best chicken med resource I have found is Harveys in Kalaheo, I'm on my way there in a few myself. Aloha Feed and is a pretty darn good resource too. Keep us posted on your hen. We are all learning in one way or another and I'd like to hear what and how things work out for you and your hen. K den, a hui hou!
Aloha! I am in Kapaa. So far we have gone to Kawamuras for all of our chickens needs but I am open. Although Kaleheo might be a little far.

theres a mass in there. I am not sure if I should mess with it or hope she passes it naturally?
I would continue with the Epsom salt baths, if something is in their it may help her pass it, and it certainly won't do any harm. Apply some Prep H cream after each bath though. This will keep the tissue moist and help with any swelling.

Unfortunately I think she may well be impacted with lash egg due to Salpingitis and is trying to pass it. The lumpy shape behind that red tissue suggests that to me That would explain why you are not feeling any sharp edges. Lash egg is a cheesy rubbery material. The mass will make her feel like she needs to push to try to clear it but it may be too big to come out in one go, so breaking it up with your finger might be the only option. She will most likely die sooner or later if she is unable to pass it and will almost certainly be in discomfort so anything you can do to try and help her is worth doing.
It may help to insert a finger whilst she is soaking and gently work it around inside her vent and try to get out anything that is inside including poop. Be guided by her and hopefully the more often you investigate the more confident you will become and once you start making some progress and seeing stuff come out, that will hopefully give you a boost to keep going as well as ease the pressure in there and perhaps make it easier to clear more of it. It may help you to do an internal exam on a healthy chicken so that you have more idea what normal feels like so you can perhaps figure out what you need to work on. I appreciate that she still looks reasonably healthy and is active but this can come to a head quite suddenly if she become unable to get poop past the obstruction.

Wish I could reach through the screen and help you, but technology still has a way to go on that! Good luck!

Aloha! I am in Kapaa. So far we have gone to Kawamuras for all of our chickens needs but I am open. Although Kaleheo might be a little far.
Love Kawamura's, and not to discount their friendly service (great tools and chicks and feed) I use and like them myself.... but when it comes to needing things like meds, Aloha is pretty good, Harvey's can be better. H tends to have the things that are difficult to get on this island. IMO, he can a bit of a donkey and his place can be dirty and you need to check your exp dates. BUT as a cockfighter, he has the meds, antibiotics for chickens that can save them and you some grief.

Love Kawamura's, and not to discount their friendly service (great tools and chicks and feed) I use and like them myself.... but when it comes to needing things like meds, Aloha is pretty good, Harvey's can be better. H tends to have the things that are difficult to get on this island. IMO, he can a bit of a donkey and his place can be dirty and you need to check your exp dates. BUT as a cockfighter, he has the meds, antibiotics for chickens that can save them and you some grief.
Also, let me know if I can be of some help that way. I go to Kilauea about once every two weeks and Lihue town at least once a week. You can call him 332-5999 and I can pick up and meet you. Don't tell him I called him a donkey ;) I check in with BYC every so many days.

Also, let me know if I can be of some help that way. I go to Kilauea about once every two weeks and Lihue town at least once a week. You can call him 332-5999 and I can pick up and meet you. Don't tell him I called him a donkey ;) I check in with BYC every so many days.
THanks! I havd never needed meds for my chickens in the past. I appreciate the offer.

Back
Top Bottom