Possible Broken Toe

JustAnotherWeirdo

In the Brooder
Dec 11, 2023
I noticed my chickens toe was looking weird about 3 days ago and when I went to go get photos the other toe was also looking strange. I’m going to wrap her toe and put a stick or something next to the toe but would this heal the toe and are there better ways to do it?

Attachments

• IMG_2302.jpeg
    IMG_2302.jpeg
    708.1 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2303.jpeg
    IMG_2303.jpeg
    772.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2304.jpeg
    IMG_2304.jpeg
    777.6 KB · Views: 13
Could you get another clear picture in good light? It looks like just a crooked toe, possibly a common deformity, but if it is broken, the best thing is to leave it alone. I would guess that your chicken has a good case of scaly leg mites though, and another picture may help.

Could you get another clear picture in good light? It looks like just a crooked toe, possibly a common deformity, but if it is broken, the best thing is to leave it alone. I would guess that your chicken has a good case of scaly leg mites though, and another picture may help.
She‘s a show chicken from the best breeder in the country so it’s definitely not a deformity and instead an injury since the foot with the ring on it wasn’t like this a few days ago.

Attachments

• IMG_2306.jpeg
    IMG_2306.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2305.jpeg
    IMG_2305.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
She‘s a show chicken from the best breeder in the country so it’s definitely not a deformity and instead an injury since the foot with the ring on it wasn’t like this a few days ago.
Photos of her and her feet, prior to a few days ago then? Do you have photos of her toes actually being straight? Photo of the whole hen would be great too.

I agree, it looks like crooked toes, they aren't broken. I would not try to splint the toes or bend them straight, her bones are set and mature, that would be painful to her.

Doesn't matter if the bird came from one of the best breeders in the world or not, things happen and go wrong. It's not a perfect world. Crooked toes can be genetic/hereditary, incorrect incubation, being raised on wire floors/too cool of brooder floor.

Symmetrical bending - very likely genetics/heredity.

1705121260002.jpeg

Photos of her and her feet, prior to a few days ago then? Do you have photos of her toes actually being straight? Photo of the whole hen would be great too.

I agree, it looks like crooked toes, they aren't broken. I would not try to splint the toes or bend them straight, her bones are set and mature, that would be painful to her.

Doesn't matter if the bird came from one of the best breeders in the world or not, things happen and go wrong. It's not a perfect world. Crooked toes can be genetic/hereditary, incorrect incubation, being raised on wire floors/too cool of brooder floor.

Symmetrical bending - very likely genetics/heredity.

View attachment 3724820
I unfortunately don’t have photos of them a few days ago but I am absolut certain that the left foot’s toes were all straight a couple of days ago.

here’s a couple of photos of the chicken

Attachments

• IMG_20240105_132615.jpeg
    IMG_20240105_132615.jpeg
    662.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20240105_132606.jpeg
    IMG_20240105_132606.jpeg
    514.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1993.jpeg
    IMG_1993.jpeg
    967.4 KB · Views: 6
Even the most expensive breeders cull or give away chicks from hatches where there is some unwanted characteristic. You can breed 2 perfect birds, and you would be lucky to get a couple of good specimens. If you read some of the special breed threads and read how people end up getting so called perfect specimens, they give away or cull a lot of chicks. Most people don’t give a hoot about a crooked toe, unless you show. I have had hatchery birds and a few so called high quality eggs from top breeders, and a few crooked toes. During hatches there may be problems with incubation temperatures that can lead to crooked toes. Most birds with a few crooked toes will still be able to roost and get around normally.

Back
Top Bottom