Possible bumblefoot, infection, or frostbite injury? Pics

leighton3

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 22, 2013
Maine
I have an old lady who just started hobbling around. Checked her feet this morning and on the top of one foot she has a hard round bump, no black scab. On the other foot she has a toe that seems crooked and is swollen up by the nail. My first thought on the toe was that she may have gotten frostbite at some point this winter? Looking for some advice and opinions. I do know how to take care of bumblefoot but where there's no scab I'm not sure if that's what it is?
IMG_20180225_103621901.jpg
received_10214976305142333.jpeg
received_10214976305142333.jpeg
IMG_20180225_103621901.jpg

Those look like abscesses to me, which could be the early stage of bumblefoot.
I'd suggest treating it by soaking the foot in warm water with Epsom Salt, and gently scrubbing the foot to soften the abscess. Then, gently try to open the wound. For this you will need a sterilized needle or knife. Squeeze out any pus, and apply a triple antibiotic ointment without painkillers to the wound, and wrap.

I'm no expert but we have had a rescued blackbird for 16 years. Her feet used to get raw on the bottom. I put padding on her roost and made a cloth sleeve to cover it. It worked. Don't know if that's reasonable for a chicken. I do know that many people think a roost should be round. Not so.You should use the "4" side of a 2x4 so the chickens can cover their feet at nite by squatting down. Otherwise, they need to round their feet to hang on to a small roost.

Back
Top Bottom