Possible Chronic Egg Laying Problem

The placement procedure was very simple. No anesthesia was required. It is very similar to getting an identification microchip implanted in a cat or dog. Basically, the hormone is in a grain of rice sized implant inside a needle and they just inject it under the skin. The implant stays in forever. They returned my ducks back to me within minutes. No after care required. No symptoms, aside from reduced reproductive symptoms.

The hormone can last for up to three months, if I'm remembering correctly. Then you need to get a new one. You might need to get a new one earlier for some birds. It can take 3 weeks to become effective, and so I also got an injection of a shot, sorry I can't remember the name, which becomes effective immediately and doesn't last as long.

Yes, these medications are not approved by the FDA for food production animals, like ducks. Some vets will do it anyway. You will never be able to use Figgy's eggs ever again - or any eggs in the coop she lives in just in case they are hers.
My duck vet says that she may need 2 implants, but she's so small - only 4 lbs - I am hoping that 1 will be enough. I am ok for not using their eggs. It will make all of their eggs inedible. But if it means she'll be healthier and ahppier, I don't mind at all.

My duck vet says that she may need 2 implants, but she's so small - only 4 lbs - I am hoping that 1 will be enough. I am ok for not using their eggs. It will make all of their eggs inedible. But if it means she'll be healthier and ahppier, I don't mind at all.
Yes, my vet also told me that my ducks might need 2. The implants were designed for smaller birds, like parakeets and parrots. My large welsh harlequin only needed one and it saved her from the pain of being egg bound every few days. She had been suffering for months before the implant. We got her a new implant every 2.5 months.

Unfortunately, my other duck passed away from reproductive cancer before we had the opportunity to know if one was enough.

Yes, my vet also told me that my ducks might need 2. The implants were designed for smaller birds, like parakeets and parrots. My large welsh harlequin only needed one and it saved her from the pain of being egg bound every few days. She had been suffering for months before the implant. We got her a new implant every 2.5 months.

Unfortunately, my other duck passed away from reproductive cancer before we had the opportunity to know if one was enough.
I am so sorry. I hate that they've been bred to be egg machines. It's abuse, really. (Not to be divisive - just my opinion)

I just found out yesterday a friend had to get her duck a hysterectomy she is a member here so I’ll try to get her to tell us about that.
I'm the friend ;D Hi Miss Lydia! I have a duck with the hormone implant and a duck who just had a hysterectomy. Both have done quite well.

The implant: In and out visit with the vet - takes 5 mins to put it in. The only thing with that is timing b/c my girl immediately goes into a very severe molt - like ALL the feathers are lost - so has to be done after it warms up a bit in the Spring.

The hysterectomy: That was quite a process - but it was needed to save her life since she had an egg literally wound up in her vent then passed to the outside of her body. It was horrible to see. They only take the oviduct - not the ovaries. She healed nicely in about 2 weeks then she was OK to go back outside and swim. The only bad part is that now she really can't have any contact with my drake - so permanent separation in mating season is required. No biggie - that's what doggie gates are for ;)

I'm the friend ;D Hi Miss Lydia! I have a duck with the hormone implant and a duck who just had a hysterectomy. Both have done quite well.

The implant: In and out visit with the vet - takes 5 mins to put it in. The only thing with that is timing b/c my girl immediately goes into a very severe molt - like ALL the feathers are lost - so has to be done after it warms up a bit in the Spring.

The hysterectomy: That was quite a process - but it was needed to save her life since she had an egg literally wound up in her vent then passed to the outside of her body. It was horrible to see. They only take the oviduct - not the ovaries. She healed nicely in about 2 weeks then she was OK to go back outside and swim. The only bad part is that now she really can't have any contact with my drake - so permanent separation in mating season is required. No biggie - that's what doggie gates are for ;)
Thank you! The situation leading up to the hysterectomy sound nightmarish! I'm glad you were able to save her!

It will be interesting to see what my vet says. I can get her the implants - no problem. The bird vet is far, but every 2-3 months is totally doable.

Thanks for the perspective! It's great to know there are options for our sweet duckies.

Thank you! The situation leading up to the hysterectomy sound nightmarish! I'm glad you were able to save her!

It will be interesting to see what my vet says. I can get her the implants - no problem. The bird vet is far, but every 2-3 months is totally doable.

Thanks for the perspective! It's great to know there are options for our sweet duckies.
It's interesting b/c the Vet originally told me to get the implant every 6 months - but we've now timed it so she gets in the Spring b/f she starts laying - then by the time it wears off, it's fall/winter and she doesn't lay anyway... So we've been very fortunate to only need it once a year. I'm just glad you are considering it - anything to help those sweet babies huh? ;) Good luck!!!

Any suggestions for good layer feed? Is there one that's better than others? I have never fed layer feed - lol!
I use Bar Ale layer feed. They are local out of willows, so I am not sure if they sell where you are at. I have been really happy with the quality of their feed. Hopefully that will help till your appointment. You will still want to give some extra calcium when she has issues. But the layer feed on the side has helped prevent issues for me.

Back
Top Bottom