Possible Cocci in 3 wk old chick?? Please help!

lovemyflock

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 23, 2008
Maryland
Last night I noticed very watery poop in my 3 wk old black australorp chick. It was clear, like water. Three days ago I know her poop was normal.

This morning when I was watching her, she had another poop like water, but a little mucousy...then about 15 mins later had another water poop, but this one had a single streak of mucousy blood in it.

She is acting fine, and eating and drinking. She is the same size as all the other 7 chicks.

Their brooder is dry and clean, their water is clean and raised off of the bedding, and they are on unmedicated starter/grower (all TSC had). I have offered them plain organic yogurt on several occasions and they want nothing to do with it. I put a Tbsp of Apple Cider Vinegar in their water this morning.

Since she still is acting normal, should I wait to see what happens? or should I try to find some Sulmet and start them on that?

It sounds like it might be Coccidiosis especially since the chick has been on unmedicated feed.
You should get some Amprollium or Sulmet into the water as soon as possible-like today.
Sulmet is probably easier to find.
If it is Coccidiosis it progresses rapidly and untreated is usually fatal. On the upside it responds quickly to medication.

From another thread....if you a search theres lots of info about it..

Quote:
Anyway, I called the local feed store and they do sell Sulmet. So, I should start that tonight, right?...

Back
Top Bottom