Possible coccidosis in 4 day old chick

Vellie

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 9, 2011
New York
I have a little 4 day old Americana in with my 6 day old welsummers and today I saw pink in the Americana's poop. Could this be coccidosis? I have sulmet, but have read that it is hard for them to process it, what should I look for to see if it is really coccidosis? I don't want to lose my babies to anything. Please help, they are all acting fine eating drinking and popping fine. Also I have them on chick stater medicated feed. Thank you so much for your help.

ugh, I have absolutely no experience with cocci to be honest, so here is a bump and hoping you will get some help from someone with more experience with this.

Ema

ohh and
welcome-byc.gif

Sorry, I cannot help - but suggest that you post in the "Emergencies/Diseases/Injuries" section for a faster response from someone who can help. Good luck with your babies. I'm getting some Wellies later this spring.

http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

Probably
more info. than you wanted, but often chickens shed intestinal lining in their poops and it looks pinkish. The above website shows pictures of all of the different types of poops chickens make. I have referred to these pictures many times. If Cocci, I believe you should be seeing other symptoms as well as blood in the poop and the chick sounds happy and healthy so hopefully it is not Cocci. Hope this helps
smile.png

Last edited:
I've just had my first chicks for a week now and was concerned about their weird looking poop too - the wet, caramel colored stuff. I checked out the website mentioned and found that they appear to be the cecal droppings, which apparently they deposit every 8 - 10 droppings. Everyone is acting healthy and happy and I seem to see about that percentage of the droppings in what is in the brooder everytime I clean it out (twice a day). I'm always disease phobic too, but looking at the pictures helped a lot.

The babies learned to eat from my hand yesterday, now they come running when I lower it with food in it. What fun! Can't be stressed when you are playing with chicks!

Ken

Those pics are amazing, thank you so much. The poop I saw was the intestinal wall shedding, your amazing.PHEW:ya:weee

Back
Top Bottom