Possible coccidosis in 4 day old chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Vellie, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Vellie

Vellie Chirping

Feb 9, 2011
    New York
    I have a little 4 day old Americana in with my 6 day old welsummers and today I saw pink in the Americana's poop. Could this be coccidosis? I have sulmet, but have read that it is hard for them to process it, what should I look for to see if it is really coccidosis? I don't want to lose my babies to anything. Please help, they are all acting fine eating drinking and popping fine. Also I have them on chick stater medicated feed. Thank you so much for your help.

2. Ema

Ema Songster

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    ugh, I have absolutely no experience with cocci to be honest, so here is a bump and hoping you will get some help from someone with more experience with this.

Ema

3. Ema

Ema Songster

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    ohh and [​IMG]

4. Vellie

Vellie Chirping

Feb 9, 2011
    New York
    [​IMG] Thank you!![​IMG]

5. HogbackMtnChickns

HogbackMtnChickns Chirping

Nov 21, 2010
    New Castle, Colorado
    Sorry, I cannot help - but suggest that you post in the "Emergencies/Diseases/Injuries" section for a faster response from someone who can help. Good luck with your babies. I'm getting some Wellies later this spring.

6. Zanna

Zanna Songster

Oct 14, 2010
    Jefferson, Oregon
    http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

Probably
    more info. than you wanted, but often chickens shed intestinal lining in their poops and it looks pinkish. The above website shows pictures of all of the different types of poops chickens make. I have referred to these pictures many times. If Cocci, I believe you should be seeing other symptoms as well as blood in the poop and the chick sounds happy and healthy so hopefully it is not Cocci. Hope this helps [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  7. kenh2010

kenh2010 In the Brooder

Aug 7, 2010
    Idaho
    I've just had my first chicks for a week now and was concerned about their weird looking poop too - the wet, caramel colored stuff. I checked out the website mentioned and found that they appear to be the cecal droppings, which apparently they deposit every 8 - 10 droppings. Everyone is acting healthy and happy and I seem to see about that percentage of the droppings in what is in the brooder everytime I clean it out (twice a day). I'm always disease phobic too, but looking at the pictures helped a lot.

The babies learned to eat from my hand yesterday, now they come running when I lower it with food in it. What fun! Can't be stressed when you are playing with chicks!

Ken

8. Vellie

Vellie Chirping

Feb 9, 2011
    New York
    Those pics are amazing, thank you so much. The poop I saw was the intestinal wall shedding, your amazing.PHEW:ya:weee

9. Zanna

Zanna Songster

Oct 14, 2010
    Jefferson, Oregon
    So glad I could help!!! I am fairly new in the big scheme of things to this chicken raising...........Glad your baby is ok!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: