Possible depluming mites?

Petermariah

Chirping
Sep 1, 2020
I’ve been dealing for six months with this issue. I can’t see any bugs so I thought it was pecking. For a while it was only half my chickens now it’s all of them. At this point all of my six hens have at least bald red butts and three have also bare backs. Very red irritated skin and broken feathers that look chewed. There is also a lot of itching preening and dust bathing going on. I used a dusting powder that was permethrin and no change. I also sprayed down the coop with pyrethrin. I just recently read about depluming mites and I think now that is what we are dealing with. I have heard the only treatment that works is ivermectin. I don’t mind going off eggs for a while I have too many eggs as it is. But I’m not sure how to administer the ivermectin. Topical, oral, injection, and dosing? Do I need to retreat? I do have a bird vet so I was thinking about taking in my roughest one for a skin scraping to be sure but it sounds expensive. Also what can I apply to the skin to soothe it or promote regrowth of feathers? Do they need immune boost? They are currently on a layer crumble that is 18% protein plus they get extra oyster shell. I’ve been scouring the internet and found very little information about depluming mites. I appreciate any advice or experience that can be shared.

Can you post some pictures of the current condition of your hens?? Maybe others readers can identify problem, and offer solution??

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

It’s so hard to get pictures of chicken butts. They want to face you so when you go around their backside they turn so you end up dancing in circles. I’m sure my neighbors think I’m crazy.

I have three Marans and two are really bad. You can see the redness and they are really preening it a lot like it itches. My two Marans (black ones) are the worst. Their tummies and underneath the wings are completely bare if you pick them up and flip them over they look like a chicken at the grocery store. Plucked clean but with red skin. My Welsummer mix her skin is not red it’s more light and dry and her butt is actually the only one with feathers but her back is really bare and she constantly picks at it. It does seem like she has done it to herself. My other Maran and my two Delaware not pictured have just the vent area that is red and bare. I really thought my one Maran was a bully because I did see her eat a feather once. And for the longest time her feathers were pristine. But now her butt/vent is red and bare too. I learned from reading about depluming mites that it has to do with immunity so some birds may fair better than others so now that makes total sense. I was thinking about taking Laverne one of the Marans to the vet to get tested but then I started thinking how stressful that would be for her and I think I should probably just treat them as if they have it. Also my elderly horse just passed away this morning so I kind of have my hands full today without having to chase a chicken and spend several hours at the vet.

To top it off I have 11 new babies six weeks old that are next to the big girls separated only by chicken wire so I bet I will have to treat them as well but I think they are too young you can see the babies in the background in one of the pictures.

Attachments

• C8A31EB6-2920-44C1-993E-A5A005294914.jpeg
    C8A31EB6-2920-44C1-993E-A5A005294914.jpeg
    494.4 KB · Views: 101
  • B720F3EB-F5DA-4C10-B865-65ABD32551D8.jpeg
    B720F3EB-F5DA-4C10-B865-65ABD32551D8.jpeg
    505.6 KB · Views: 103
  • C28A76D2-F23F-41BD-B94F-C0639AFF8781.jpeg
    C28A76D2-F23F-41BD-B94F-C0639AFF8781.jpeg
    604.5 KB · Views: 97
  • BDFA9B60-6CA3-4EA3-80DF-900A7A1E2165.jpeg
    BDFA9B60-6CA3-4EA3-80DF-900A7A1E2165.jpeg
    888 KB · Views: 95
  • A73C9DBC-24BA-48FC-B2EE-B642B95D2C18.jpeg
    A73C9DBC-24BA-48FC-B2EE-B642B95D2C18.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 97
  • 1CA8A2A5-A49C-45D3-B4C7-DCE1F166996B.jpeg
    1CA8A2A5-A49C-45D3-B4C7-DCE1F166996B.jpeg
    858.8 KB · Views: 93
I just treated with ivermectin pour on 5mg per mL and I used .25 mL which is equal to 5 drops on the back of the neck. I also sprayed down any raw areas with poultry wound spray which is just aloe vera and tea tree oil. I will continue the spray each night until I see significant healing. We are going to toss eggs for ten days. If I don’t see a huge improvement I will redose in one month. God I hope this works my poor babies need some relief and their beautiful plumage back.

I’m happy to report it’s been three days and today my two Marans do not have bright red irritated skin. They just have the normal pinkish white skin. I’m sure it will take time for feathers to regrow but I also noticed that are not constantly preening. I think we are on the right path. I’m going to keep spraying the skin every other night for a bit longer and will retreat the ivermectin in one month. It will be interesting to see if feathers come back quickly or if we have to wait for a molt. I’m assuming that the ones that are broken will have to wait for a molt and the ones that were plucked clean may grow back. I will post picture in a few weeks.

I would suggest you increase the amount of protein in their diet. You can add some catfood, (canned, or dry). Leftover meat from your meals. Sardines. Just add small amounts, so they don't have too high of a dose. A too big of a dose would possibly cause runnier stools, and somewhat smellier. Since you are going to toss the eggs I would suggest you boil, and feed those back to them. Protein is protein.!!!
In my Avatar you can see that my chickens do like to raid the cat food. They are doing it to this very day. I only keep chickens as pets, and all my chickens live long lives. :love Keeping chickens for over 20+ years now.

They are on an organic layer crumble that is 18% (Texas Natural Feed) they get kale in the morning and either BOSS or meal worms in the afternoon. I was thinking of scrambling the eggs and feeding back to them since we can’t eat them. Will that help with the feather regrowth?

In other news... I bought them a new feeder that is larger and is galvanized metal instead of plastic. I swapped it out this morning. Well I guess they can see their reflection in the side of the feeder and they are scared of it so they wouldn’t eat this morning. I guess they will eventually get hungry enough. Chickens are so funny 😆

Attachments

• C97C223B-EEBC-4B35-B1E6-3C1D455166DD.jpeg
    C97C223B-EEBC-4B35-B1E6-3C1D455166DD.jpeg
    295.6 KB · Views: 97
Feather growth needs protein. Your 18% protein feed is good, but it is a general diet protein. If you wanted to boost their feather recovery, EXTRA protein would help recovery sooner. :thumbsup

I’ve been dealing for six months with this issue. I can’t see any bugs so I thought it was pecking. For a while it was only half my chickens now it’s all of them. At this point all of my six hens have at least bald red butts and three have also bare backs. Very red irritated skin and broken feathers that look chewed. There is also a lot of itching preening and dust bathing going on. I used a dusting powder that was permethrin and no change. I also sprayed down the coop with pyrethrin. I just recently read about depluming mites and I think now that is what we are dealing with. I have heard the only treatment that works is ivermectin. I don’t mind going off eggs for a while I have too many eggs as it is. But I’m not sure how to administer the ivermectin. Topical, oral, injection, and dosing? Do I need to retreat? I do have a bird vet so I was thinking about taking in my roughest one for a skin scraping to be sure but it sounds expensive. Also what can I apply to the skin to soothe it or promote regrowth of feathers? Do they need immune boost? They are currently on a layer crumble that is 18% protein plus they get extra oyster shell. I’ve been scouring the internet and found very little information about depluming mites. I appreciate any advice or experience that can be shared.

Hi! Can I ask how your girls are doing? And how their feather growth is? I think my flock is having this exact problem. What treatment process did you go with and how long in between? Sorry, new to this also and want to help my girls!

My girls are doing great. Four out six are at the end of a molt and looking great. The other two still have bald butts but should start molting soon.

As far as feather regrowth the reason you have to wait for molt is because most of the feathers are broken off at the root. I had a small amount of regrowth in two hens that had over preened. They had basically pluck out some of their own feathers trying to relieve the itching and irritation so since those feathers were plucked clean they grew back right away. But the majority of feather will not grow back until a hard molt.

Treatment pour on ivermectin. The dose is 0.5 cc to the skin on the back of the neck. Egg withdrawal one week. Repeat after two weeks. Then repeat the entire process 2 months later.

I plan to repeat this process 2x per year going forward.The ivermectin will kill all mites lice and worms so it’s a good preventative.

Back
Top Bottom