Possible Diva?

SW31

Songster
Jan 24, 2018
SW France, not far from Toulouse
Backgound:
I had four chickens in July 2017 - two of which were Marans, Grizzi and Pauli, that were nicknamed ‘the Krays’ after the London gangsters and who eat twice as fast, a Sussex, Sammi, and another chicken, Cilla, who was either a Limousine or an Andalusian. Cilla died in July 2018 of cancer ( after vet autopsy). The two krays were very badly attacked by our neighbours dog but thanks to the vet are doing nicely. See thread hens in the hall.

Cilla, who was top bird, was Sammi’s bestest friend and protected Sammi from the Krays. I now have to take cilla’s place as Sammi loses out. The pecking order is now Grizzi, Sammi and then Pauli. Pauli is huge and simply lives to eat. She started to moult last month and stopped laying. It’s not been too dramatic.

Sammi on the other hand is going through a very hard moult, she has stopped laying. She lost most of the feathers on her back and her backside. Grizzi has been pecking her drawing blood. I think Pauli has had a little go as well.

Sammi seemed reluctant to eat the normal layer food and started to keep her distance from the krays. She noticeably lost weight and also started to sleep in the nesting box which she is still doing. I have another smaller roosting box that I’ve put the krays into to give her some peace from them but she doesn’t like to be alone.

She’s drinking plenty of water, eating the tips of grass, rooting around the ground and cleaning herself.

Issue 1 - she has very watery poop, her crop does not feel full. I noticed Pauli had watery poop during her moult - is watery poop normal during moulting?

Her comb was very dull but is picking up. Her feathers are now growing back. I usually give them some muesli and grated cheese, French friends (who keep lots of hens) thought they needed a little more protein in their diet. With the feather loss I’ve reduced this a little but added some raw or cooked beef as it worked well when the krays were growing back feathers after the dog attack. Sammi is cheesy girl - she really loves her cheese, but was reluctant to eat as she seemed to feel threatened by the krays so I put her food in a separate dish and put it on the bench seat in the run. She now expects it and quickly jumps up when she sees the dish on the bench.

Issue 2 - am I making a little diva - but I do need her to eat?

Backgound:
I had four chickens in July 2017 - two of which were Marans, Grizzi and Pauli, that were nicknamed ‘the Krays’ after the London gangsters and who eat twice as fast, a Sussex, Sammi, and another chicken, Cilla, who was either a Limousine or an Andalusian. Cilla died in July 2018 of cancer ( after vet autopsy). The two krays were very badly attacked by our neighbours dog but thanks to the vet are doing nicely. See thread hens in the hall.

Cilla, who was top bird, was Sammi’s bestest friend and protected Sammi from the Krays. I now have to take cilla’s place as Sammi loses out. The pecking order is now Grizzi, Sammi and then Pauli. Pauli is huge and simply lives to eat. She started to moult last month and stopped laying. It’s not been too dramatic.

Sammi on the other hand is going through a very hard moult, she has stopped laying. She lost most of the feathers on her back and her backside. Grizzi has been pecking her drawing blood. I think Pauli has had a little go as well.

Sammi seemed reluctant to eat the normal layer food and started to keep her distance from the krays. She noticeably lost weight and also started to sleep in the nesting box which she is still doing. I have another smaller roosting box that I’ve put the krays into to give her some peace from them but she doesn’t like to be alone.

She’s drinking plenty of water, eating the tips of grass, rooting around the ground and cleaning herself.

Issue 1 - she has very watery poop, her crop does not feel full. I noticed Pauli had watery poop during her moult - is watery poop normal during moulting?

Her comb was very dull but is picking up. Her feathers are now growing back. I usually give them some muesli and grated cheese, French friends (who keep lots of hens) thought they needed a little more protein in their diet. With the feather loss I’ve reduced this a little but added some raw or cooked beef as it worked well when the krays were growing back feathers after the dog attack. Sammi is cheesy girl - she really loves her cheese, but was reluctant to eat as she seemed to feel threatened by the krays so I put her food in a separate dish and put it on the bench seat in the run. She now expects it and quickly jumps up when she sees the dish on the bench.

Issue 2 - am I making a little diva - but I do need her to eat?
Sometimes you just have to do what you feel is necessary to make a particular chicken eat. It’s always better if they eat the regular diet and better if they eat with the others. Apparently, chickens watching other chickens eat tend to eat more.
I do this all wrong all the time. Well, not all the time but when I’m worried about a particular chicken. Yes, it does cause some problems later because the chicken in question get used to special treatment and comes to expect it. Then you have to work on that.
Yep, I’ve got divas. Some are a bit more prone to dramatics than others. I just want them fit and healthy and if that means I have to deal with a few hysterics then so be it.

I’m still a bit concerned with the watery poop, is this normal during a heavy moult?
Do they have a regular commercial chicken ration?
Not sure what might be available or 'normal' in FRA
Could be missing some vitamins/minerals/amino acids.
Molting is stressful and stress can bring out latent disease and/or internal pest issues.

Hi, yes they have bio layer pellets but my little diva stopped eating and lost a lot of weight when she started to moult. I’ve upped the diet to include bio muesli with extra oats, raw lean minced beef, which she eats first and grated cheese which she’s always eaten as a protein extra. The beef has made a difference and she’s starting to put weight back.

My chickens are very much pets so the beef is ok, specially when I can get it at a discounted price. I figure she’s earring the equivalent of gold plated worms!

Back
Top Bottom