Possible egg bound but not sure

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lobzi, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a 9 month old hen who is walking low to the ground, kind of waddling. She seems to have energy, ate well, and pooped some pretty good size poos this morning since I brought her in the house with me. I just gave her a warm soak and she is now wrapped in a towel on a heating pad (I read warm, moist heat is good if egg bound). Can anyone suggest what might be her problem as she doesnt feel particularly swollen in the hind quarters. She lays pretty small eggs so that doesnt mean a whole lot. Any suggestions for treatment or cause of her strange gait?

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Just a guess, not a definite. It could be that she'll be laying a soft shelled egg soon. A few of my girls had egg issues early on in their laying careers, and I recall one walking around kind of hunched up looking. Is her rear end area kind of pulsing a bit?? If so, she may be trying to expel a glitch egg. So she may not be egg bound at all. I think it's harder to squeeze out a soft shell or shelless egg than a normal egg, as the muscles don't really have something definite to push along???? I hope that's what it is...

3. Lobzi

I hope that is what is going on. She made it up on the roost last night with the others though she was in the nest box this morning when I opened the pen. She came out and after shooing my roo off of her I watched her labor to walk. That is when I brought her inside for a break from him and any other stressors.
    If anyone else has a suggestion for treatment, Im all eyes.

4. Lobzi

She passes a soft shell egg last night but is still not able to walk normally. She seems a little sensitive and stiff. Is it possible she is all backed up with eggs?

5. puddinbabe

puddinbabe Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2007
    I just brought one of my girls in as well. She was down when I found her in the coop. There was also a soft shelled egg broken in the laying box and I know its hers. She can stand up for a little bit, especially if I agitate her, but then she lies back down. I gave her a warm soak, which she didn't like. Anything else I can do for her?

6. Lobzi

Well my hen is still not walking upright, dragging her but around but eating and drinks well, alter as all heck. She did lay a double-size egg yesterday (See pic), at least it is twice as large as the ones she normally lays (see in comparison.) Has any one had this problem with a hen laying larger than normal eggs and it preventing them from moving around normally?
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by