Possible egg bound

Necklace

Songster
Dec 4, 2014
Hello.
One of my hens.. she is about a year old started acting weird yesterday. She sits on the ground and does not want to walk. When we pick her up and set her back down she just drops again. I have done a full check of her and nothing is broken or injured.. the only thing that comes to mind is egg bound but I wanted to run this pass the experts just in case it might be something else.

I have soaked her and greased everything up.. I do not feel an egg and her tummy is not swollen,red or warm. It does look like she is trying to get something out. She keeps pushing. I have a free range flock so I am not sure who lays what. :/

Does this sound like something other then egg bound?

How did you check for an egg?

Cause feeling of it outside won't work. Grab some gloves and check. You will feel the egg if she is egg bound.

Give here Epsom salt baths and put her in a comfortable crate full of shavings with a towel over her so she is warm but not to warm and can breathe. And so it's dark. If there is an egg this will help her pass ir

How did you check for an egg?

Cause feeling of it outside won't work. Grab some gloves and check. You will feel the egg if she is egg bound.

Give here Epsom salt baths and put her in a comfortable crate full of shavings with a towel over her so she is warm but not to warm and can breathe. And so it's dark. If there is an egg this will help her pass ir

I did the finger feel when I was using some lubrication. She was not happy about that. I did not feel an egg.

Just something else to throw into the mix.....she's not broody is she? Have you experienced a broody hen before? Does she look like a pancake.... all floppy and spread out?

No.. she is not broody.. I have had a few hens get broody.. and she is no showing signs of that. :(

Back
Top Bottom