Possible egg bound

If you can't feel an egg by doing an internal exam then it may be a shell less egg in her system. They are really difficult to pass and it really can knock them out of sorts. A direct calcium supplement to help with contractions and boost her shell gland for the next eggs coming through and just make her comfortable and give her time.

Yes she is and she will not walk.
Then yes, she is most definitely egg bound. I just had one girl this past week that was egg bound, but we caught it late...:hit
I suggest separating her into a nice crate. Good job on bathing her! It will help her feel better and more comfortable. Next thing to do would be to handle her very gently, but slowly massage her lower abdomen (between her legs is usually where the egg settles). Be gentle so it doesn't break! Then if you haven't already rub some vegetable oil around and in her vent to help it come out easier. Then spray or drop a few drops of Lavendar Essential Oil in her crate, or box in coop, that she is sitting in. That should keep her calm. For her to pass this egg she will need to be very calm. She will also need some rest to help her get it out. Good luck!

Next thing to do would be to handle her very gently, but slowly massage her lower abdomen (between her legs is usually where the egg settles).

The oviduct sits above the intestines.....see diagram below.
chicken_anatomy_eng_small.gif

You cannot feel an egg that is bound by massaging the abdomen between the legs. It just cannot hang down there because the intestines prevent it. It will be stuck just in front of the cloaca, which is why you insert your finger to check for it.

Masses in the abdominal cavity between the legs are likely to be internally laid yolks, ascites (water belly), tumours or something that I have recently discovered.... ovarian cysts. None of which will be assisted by massage.
Understanding chicken anatomy is important to diagnosing ailments and giving people accurate advice.

View attachment 1503911
You cannot feel an egg that is bound by massaging the abdomen between the legs. It just cannot hang down there because the intestines prevent it. It will be stuck just in front of the cloaca, which is why you insert your finger to check for it.

Masses in the abdominal cavity between the legs are likely to be internally laid yolks, ascites (water belly), tumours or something that I have recently discovered.... ovarian cysts. None of which will be assisted by massage.
Understanding chicken anatomy is important to diagnosing ailments and giving people accurate advice.
Thanks for the diagram

View attachment 1503911

Thanks for the diagram

Thank you for the diagram.. so when feeling for an egg from the inside I should feel with my finger going up instead of feeling down?

Yes, slightly upwards but generally if they are properly egg bound it will be there in the cloaca or pushing down into the cloaca from above. It should be pretty obvious. Straight ahead is the gut. The egg blocks off the gut as it is laid, so when it is stuck, it prevents the bird from pooping and it is the build up of waste in their system that generally kills them within a few days if they cannot pass the egg.

Rebrascora seems to have it covered.
I had a hen I thought was egg bound. I couldn't feel an egg when I examined her.
Thankfully I check the shit in the coops daily and I found what looked like egg yolk and minute pieces of shell. On checking the hen further it was apparent that there was a semi "cooked" egg without a full shell she was unable to pass.
Not being that confident about getting it out myself I took the hen to the vet and the vet dug out the remains of the egg and washed everything out.
The hen is fine now and lays properly.
It might be worth checking.

Update.

I greased her up again and she has fever now. :( gave her a bit of baby ibuprofen and a nice soak.. tucked her in for the night.. now all I can do is pray she passes it in the night. Oh and I did another feel for the egg and I still can not feel anything. :(

Back
Top Bottom