Possible for chickens to not lay

lil jerry

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 26, 2012
Yavapai County
I have two Americaunas that I got in mid March (and I'm sure they aren't roosters) and they still aren't laying. Is it possible for chickens to not lay eggs?

Thanks

They'll eventually start laying.
Some take a bit longer than others.
The shorter winter days certainly does not help.
Patience.
smile.png

Yes It is possible. I have a four year old chook that has never laid an egg, ever.
Don't jump to conclusions too fast though, it might just be the breed, weather, food or environment. It's pretty unlikely to get two hens that don't lay (Pretty unlucky to get one IMO :p ) so they're probably just not ready. Be patient.

Do you supplement light? My EEs seem particularly sensitive to light. If they're not getting enough, they don't lay, period. My youngest EEs are about 4 weeks younger than yours, and 5/10 are laying.

Slow developing strains need over 6 months to mature. The challenge with these kinds of birds is that if they are hatched in spring, they simply run out of long daylight days. Just about the time they are approaching point of lay, the daylight has gone away, as late fall slips toward winter. Hours of daylight is strong stimulant for egg laying.

Unless you light them artificially, most such slow developers will wait until late February to begin laying, making them a year old.

Thanks, I am not using artificial light. They seem healthy and the other breeds (barred rock and red star) were laying everyday at about 4 months...now about every other day. I'll wait it out until spring.

Back
Top Bottom