Possible for chickens to not lay

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lil jerry, Dec 6, 2012.

1. lil jerry

lil jerry New Egg

Nov 26, 2012
    Yavapai County
    I have two Americaunas that I got in mid March (and I'm sure they aren't roosters) and they still aren't laying. Is it possible for chickens to not lay eggs?

Thanks

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    They'll eventually start laying.
    Some take a bit longer than others.
    The shorter winter days certainly does not help.
    Patience.
    [​IMG]

3. guinea fowl galore

guinea fowl galore Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    Yes It is possible. I have a four year old chook that has never laid an egg, ever.
    Don't jump to conclusions too fast though, it might just be the breed, weather, food or environment. It's pretty unlikely to get two hens that don't lay (Pretty unlucky to get one IMO :p ) so they're probably just not ready. Be patient.

4. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Do you supplement light? My EEs seem particularly sensitive to light. If they're not getting enough, they don't lay, period. My youngest EEs are about 4 weeks younger than yours, and 5/10 are laying.

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Slow developing strains need over 6 months to mature. The challenge with these kinds of birds is that if they are hatched in spring, they simply run out of long daylight days. Just about the time they are approaching point of lay, the daylight has gone away, as late fall slips toward winter. Hours of daylight is strong stimulant for egg laying.

Unless you light them artificially, most such slow developers will wait until late February to begin laying, making them a year old.

1 person likes this.
  6. lil jerry

lil jerry New Egg

Nov 26, 2012
    Yavapai County
    Thanks, I am not using artificial light. They seem healthy and the other breeds (barred rock and red star) were laying everyday at about 4 months...now about every other day. I'll wait it out until spring.

7. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Are you sure they are not laying or do you think they are not laying because you are getting all brown eggs? Many EEs do not lay green eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by