Possible fowl cholera??

chiki1

Chirping
Jan 6, 2022
We're in Maine and just had a severely cold weekend (in the negatives) and it looks like two of our roosters have problems. They both have extremely inflamed waddled and one has bugs on him(mites maybe) as well as a new neck problem. I don't know wht to do - no chicken has ever had an infestation this bad.
Snapchat-2123079559.jpg
Snapchat-1969059204.jpg
Snapchat-1418642972.jpg
Snapchat-1977898168.jpg

We're in Maine and just had a severely cold weekend (in the negatives) and it looks like two of our roosters have problems. They both have extremely inflamed waddled and one has bugs on him(mites maybe) as well as a new neck problem. I don't know wht to do - no chicken has ever had an infestation this bad.
Clearer photos of the wattles and comb may be helpful.

From what I can tell, he's got Frostbite on the comb and wattles. Frostbite is going to cause swelling and inflammation. Don't handle the tissue, you'll make it worse.
Possible I see a bit of frostbite on a toe too but it may just be lighting.

He's probably hold his head out in a strange way due to the Frostbitten wattles, he may be the most comfortable in that position.

The bugs needs to go immediately. Go to your local feed store like TSC and get some Permethrin based poultry dust AND spray.
Put the dust in a sock and use it like a powder puff and dust each bird, working the dust down into the feathers all the way to the skin.
Spray your coop/housing and nesting boxes. If it's too cold to spray, then buy extra dust and dust the coop, working the dust along roosting areas and nesting boxes.
Hard to tell what kind of bugs they are, lice or mites, so repeat treatment of birds and housing in 5 day intervals.

Get some poultry vitamins into the roosters with the damage. See that they are eating well and staying hydrated.

Back
Top Bottom