Whole flock losing feathers- inflamed skin

talliejo

Chirping
Nov 30, 2022
Hi there. Started out with 13 hens and 2 roosters. Winter was extremely hard on my flock in Alaska. The roosters were very aggressive with the hens. I have since gotten rid of the roosters. And lost 3 hens. I now have 10 hens. I could see where the roosters had been mating, and several of the hens had lost feathers. I expected that to heal with time. It has been three months now with no roosters around and the feathers are still not coming in. Now several of my hens are losing feathers on their neck, wings and belly. I have checked the coop for mites and have not seen anything. The skin seems red and inflamed. They are laying well and eating and drinking well. Seem to have plenty of energy.

Attachments

• IMG_4897.jpeg
    IMG_4897.jpeg
    523.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_4898.jpeg
    IMG_4898.jpeg
    431.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4899.jpeg
    IMG_4899.jpeg
    545.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4900.jpeg
    IMG_4900.jpeg
    314 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4903.jpeg
    IMG_4903.jpeg
    446.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4904.jpeg
    IMG_4904.jpeg
    539.2 KB · Views: 19
They are laying well and eating and drinking well. Seem to have plenty of energy.

Feathers that are broken and rubbed off due to mating will not be replaced until the hens go through a molt.

As the year and time progresses, feathers naturally become worn, fall out and hens become a bit more bare. Some feather loss could be from plucking or a they may be starting an early molt, time will tell on that one.

They are laying well, eating/drinking, have plenty of energy....I'd just enjoy them. They will eventually molt and have nice feathers for winter.

Back
Top Bottom