Possible Fox Attacks???

CBrinkley

In the Brooder
Sep 22, 2018
Hello Everyone! The last week I have lost 5 chickens to possible fox attacks. My chickens free range during the day. It has been 1 chicken at a time. I believe it’s a fox because they leave a “trail” of feathers. An initial clump of feathers. Then no feathers and then another clump of feathers. See picture... never see any parts or remains of the chicken. What do y’all think???

Attachments

• E603B0A3-ED67-428B-B002-ECFF5A1CF0DC.jpeg
    E603B0A3-ED67-428B-B002-ECFF5A1CF0DC.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
I would definitely say not an aerial Predator. However a trail cam would do a lot of good in finding out exactly what it is because this could be any number of ground animals such as a neighbor's dog a feral cat or Fox. If this is occurring during the day, it may not be a fox unless it is happening close to dusk or Dawn.

Hello Everyone! The last week I have lost 5 chickens to possible fox attacks. My chickens free range during the day. It has been 1 chicken at a time. I believe it’s a fox because they leave a “trail” of feathers. An initial clump of feathers. Then no feathers and then another clump of feathers. See picture... never see any parts or remains of the chicken. What do y’all think???
I think you have a big problem and if you don't identify your predators and take steps to protect your flock, before long you won't have a flock! We had a daytime problem with foxes and coyotes (and dogs) running into our free range flock during the day, grabbing the nearest chicken and running away back into the trees. To deter this we bought the biggest roll of 4 foot tall farm fence (4x4 wire mesh) and some t-posts and created a 50'x50' topless run for them. The chickens can fly over it if they want, but they do not. They seem very happy to have this big space. No longer can a fox "run up" on the chickens. During the day a fox or coyote would not climb and fence and at night the chickens are locked in their run and coop for safety. We have had NO further problems loosing chickens during the day. Maybe this would work for you? Good luck!
:frow

I think you have a big problem and if you don't identify your predators and take steps to protect your flock, before long you won't have a flock! We had a daytime problem with foxes and coyotes (and dogs) running into our free range flock during the day, grabbing the nearest chicken and running away back into the trees. To deter this we bought the biggest roll of 4 foot tall farm fence (4x4 wire mesh) and some t-posts and created a 50'x50' topless run for them. The chickens can fly over it if they want, but they do not. They seem very happy to have this big space. No longer can a fox "run up" on the chickens. During the day a fox or coyote would not climb and fence and at night the chickens are locked in their run and coop for safety. We have had NO further problems loosing chickens during the day. Maybe this would work for you? Good luck!
:frow

A coyote doesn't need to climb a a 4 ft fence--they can jump right over or dig right under in a blink of an eye. They are fast. A 6 ft fence might be less doable, but if they are hungry they will get over that too.

Very likely a fox, and they watch an area for up to 2 weeks, learn your schedule, then attack. Yes, dawn & dusk is more common, but they DO come out to hunt in the middle of the day. They will even attack when your outside if desperate enough- and with winter coming- they ARE desperate. Fox won't stop now since there is a fairly easy meal, and will take out the whole flock.

This happens here all year, but especially spring & fall.

Sometimes chickens will "get away" although there is a trail of feathers and hide somewhere or in a tree for hours on end until dusk or when they feel safe.

Currently, ours stay in the run (fitted with a roof) unless we're around to kinda supervise when working outside. (Even then, we've had attempted fox attack)

X2 game camera, .22 from a window.

Good luck- I hope this stops.

Back
Top Bottom