Possible fungal infection?

GranWin

In the Brooder
Sep 29, 2017
Hello!! Our hen started developing a gray spot on her comb a few days ago. Doing some research, it seemed as though she had a fungal infection that I read could be treated with over the counter anti fungal cream. Now the spot is turning black. They have not left their coop during this cold northern MN winter. We leave the door open but they only ever poke their heads out so I don't believe it's frost bite, but I could be wrong. I just wanted to get a second opinion on this. It seems like she might have some nasal discharge and then I was noticing her vent seemed redder than usual as well. She is still laying and her behavior seems fine. I appreciate any help!

Attachments

• IMG_20190212_170151.jpg
    IMG_20190212_170151.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20190212_170329.jpg
    IMG_20190212_170329.jpg
    366.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20190212_170332.jpg
    IMG_20190212_170332.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 11
Sorry for your troubles.
I agree with @DobieLover it looks like frostbite. The chickens poking their heads out the coop door would not cause frostbite. It’s usually moisture in your coop. Heck some birds can get frostbite from the moisture of tucking their heads under their wing at night. Good news you don’t need to treat frostbite. It’s best IMHO to simply leave it alone.
Where on your hens body is picture #4?
If you post pictures of your coop perhaps we could give some suggestions.

Hello!! Our hen started developing a gray spot on her comb a few days ago. Doing some research, it seemed as though she had a fungal infection that I read could be treated with over the counter anti fungal cream. Now the spot is turning black. They have not left their coop during this cold northern MN winter. We leave the door open but they only ever poke their heads out so I don't believe it's frost bite, but I could be wrong. I just wanted to get a second opinion on this. It seems like she might have some nasal discharge and then I was noticing her vent seemed redder than usual as well. She is still laying and her behavior seems fine. I appreciate any help!

It's frostbite
And if there's Respiratory symptoms I will treat and clean her vent too

Back
Top Bottom