Possible hatchlings?? Help! Advice?!

So another question- I told you I’d have A lot! 😝 speaking of fowl pox, avian colds etc… should I get my chicks vaccinated for anything? Ie: fowl pox, marek’s… if so how do I go about that? Is it something I can buy OTC? Do I need a vet prescription? At what age do they get vaccinated?
Okay, i would personally, its smart to do that to prevent that thing :) I beileve i read somewhere over 6 weeks, but honestly id do 8+ to be safe. i think you go to a vet that does it for chickens, or anyway, Thats how its done here.

So another question- I told you I’d have A lot! 😝 speaking of fowl pox, avian colds etc… should I get my chicks vaccinated for anything? Ie: fowl pox, marek’s… if so how do I go about that? Is it something I can buy OTC? Do I need a vet prescription? At what age do they get vaccinated?
All I can really say is that my chicks had dry pox, which is not fatal (except if it gets over their eyes and they can't see food and water) and most of them that had it, it is falling off, praise the Lord.

All I can really say is that my chicks had dry pox, which is not fatal (except if it gets over their eyes and they can't see food and water) and most of them that had it, it is falling off, praise the Lord.
Yes, it isnt fatal, wet stuff is much worse! its just stressful for your chickens and like any disease causes harm. Make sure they dont eat it or anything once it falls off or it will start again!

Marek's vaccines are given to day old chicks and they need to be away from other chickens as to not have a chance of exposure for 2 weeks. Most vaccines need to be given before they have been exposed to others that may have infections or areas that have had infections. Most vaccines are only good before any contact with infections. Fowl pox I believe is after 6 weeks but if they are already in a area that has known infection not sure if it will do you any good. And most at least Marek's vac only seems to come in 1000 dose bottles.
Yes, fowl pox is after 6 weeks. I find 8 weeks is safer, but whenever is a good time as long as its 6 +

I would leave the chicks with mom. It could actually be good for them to be exposed, so they can get immunity at a young age. Chicks are fragile, but also have young immune systems. Fowl pox isn't fatal, and if they get it once, they will never get it again.
Plus what @NatJ said, if the mosquitoes can still get to the chicks, they are hardly less protected in the garage than in with mom.
Mom will do a much better job warming them, protecting them, and raising them naturally than a brooder will. Could you imagine being stuck in a box your whole young hood, and than suddenly placed in this huge world with tons of big chickens around.
I've raised chicks both ways, and the only place I came out with all surviving chicks was with a hen.
I wouldn't bring them in. After all, momma sat on the nest loyally for 21 days, she loves those babies very much, she did ALL the hard hard work. Restricting her feed, all that time and energy, how is it fare to just take them away? Just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom