Possible hatchlings?? Help! Advice?!

Oh no! Some hens just arent cut out for mothering haha! But, i think she will get much better, usually they are pretty bad mothers during their first lay season and stuff, so if you give it some time im sure she could turn out to be a awesome mom!

this experince will be amazing then! Waking up one day seeing chicks climbing about the mama with little peeps. Also another exciting thing. During the end period, youll hear the eggs peep! You know their almost ready then! The eggs usually take around 21 days to hatch, many people recommend throwing out the eggs at 23 days, which i do not recommend at all :( my bantom hatched at 23 days, she was a late hatcher, if their a bit late, its probsbly fine to! And make sure to not candle them at and past day 17, this is lockdown for them and you can hurt the chick (because their coming out at this point) sorry If im being confusing 🤣
You’re not being confusing at all! The info is super helpful, especially the lock down period!
My dumb self would have been candling them until they hatched!

since I don’t know when exactly day 17 will be, I only dated 1 egg 🙄, 9/21, I’ll just stop candling on Oct 2nd. And as luck would have it, the one I dated is the one that I don’t think is viable…

all the eggs were laid when in 1-2 days on either side of the 9/21 egg…

You’re not being confusing at all! The info is super helpful, especially the lock down period!
My dumb self would have been candling them until they hatched!

since I don’t know when exactly day 17 will be, I only dated 1 egg 🙄, 9/21, I’ll just stop candling on Oct 2nd. And as luck would have it, the one I dated is the one that I don’t think is viable…

all the eggs were laid when in 1-2 days on either side of the 9/21 egg…
Okay good 😂 and i almost did that my first time candling to! It doesnt have to be exact, in fact 18 is the actual lockdown period. But i find 18 can be pushing it, candeling is helpful *mostly during incubation and not broody hens* because you want to get the rotten ones out ASAP. these will litterally explode in the incubator contaminating the other eggs! The first day you should see no activity, just blank. The next you should see little veins. But some are a bit later then others (very importantl some egg shells are much thicker then others, and harder to see, so if you see nothing it could still be active!) after that youll see a little ball in the center grow much bigger, and soon become black and dark, you can actually see its beak in there! The reason to not touch them during lockdown is because their pipping out, so your moving their position making them start over, and could be harmful to them. Evem if you did it on day 18 i think itd be fine, but id try not to :) Hope this makes sense!
also, if any eggs dont hatch by day 25 *just to be safe* definitely remove them. You dont want the mama using her time incubating a rotten/infertile egg!

Okay good 😂 and i almost did that my first time candling to! It doesnt have to be exact, in fact 18 is the actual lockdown period. But i find 18 can be pushing it, candeling is helpful *mostly during incubation and not broody hens* because you want to get the rotten ones out ASAP. these will litterally explode in the incubator contaminating the other eggs! The first day you should see no activity, just blank. The next you should see little veins. But some are a bit later then others (very importantl some egg shells are much thicker then others, and harder to see, so if you see nothing it could still be active!) after that youll see a little ball in the center grow much bigger, and soon become black and dark, you can actually see its beak in there! The reason to not touch them during lockdown is because their pipping out, so your moving their position making them start over, and could be harmful to them. Evem if you did it on day 18 i think itd be fine, but id try not to :) Hope this makes sense!
also, if any eggs dont hatch by day 25 *just to be safe* definitely remove them. You dont want the mama using her time incubating a rotten/infertile egg!
Thank you again! I’ll definitely keep y’all updated and will reach out if I have any questions.
BTW, on one of the eggs, I thought I saw a tiny tiny black dot… kinda squiggling around, just a little. I thought it might be an eye? But it could be the beak?
This is so exciting and so fascinating!

@Chicken poppy i thought of another question… soooo sorry!
In her nesting box she is on shavings and a little hay. Should I give her a coconut husk liner? I have them in another coop; actually where silkie momma laid the eggs and kept leaving…

@Chicken poppy i thought of another question… soooo sorry!
In her nesting box she is on shavings and a little hay. Should I give her a coconut husk liner? I have them in another coop; actually where silkie momma laid the eggs and kept leaving…
Dont apologize! You dont have to, :) They make their own nests and her fluff will keep the eggs from falling out. But maybe add some more hay just in case! (plus it keeps it a bit warmer whenever the mom goes out)

Thank you again! I’ll definitely keep y’all updated and will reach out if I have any questions.
BTW, on one of the eggs, I thought I saw a tiny tiny black dot… kinda squiggling around, just a little. I thought it might be an eye? But it could be the beak?
This is so exciting and so fascinating!
Oh yes! please do!
and yes, your right! They get that little squirmy black dot in there. Its definitely progressing in there. Soon youll see the head and even little wings moving around :)

Back
Top Bottom