Possible hatchlings?? Help! Advice?!

Pics
Day 21 is 80% hatch rate. So you should be seeing it by oct 9. But it could be earlier or later, it depends!
and if you do id be happy to awnser! Best of luck and keep us updated!
I candled the eggs last night and I *think* I saw a foot! When I checked the other 4, I’m like 80% sure they are still doing well. I didn’t want to fuss with them too much.

today I’m setting up the “maternity” ward in a 5’x10’ run that I will separate into 2 “rooms” for both mommas. I am putting down a layer of large cut pine shavings in the entire run and both will have a small waterer & feeder. They will also have their own “bed” of straw inside a nesting box.
Is there anything I’m forgetting? Anything I should or shouldn’t do/include?
They will be able to see other chickens but cannot get in/out.

All 5 eggs came from my chocolate silkie pictured here. She is on 1 egg and the other 4 are under a surrogate GLW
T-5 days and counting!!! :barnie:fl

Attachments

• E54ECD8A-A797-4DBF-8FC4-761A26E30DDC.jpeg
    E54ECD8A-A797-4DBF-8FC4-761A26E30DDC.jpeg
    710.1 KB · Views: 5
  • CE22B8A2-36BF-4054-A1F2-0588D4E4DCA7.jpeg
    CE22B8A2-36BF-4054-A1F2-0588D4E4DCA7.jpeg
    573 KB · Views: 2
  • 9987E18A-79A0-422D-B1A8-2306C1929752.jpeg
    9987E18A-79A0-422D-B1A8-2306C1929752.jpeg
    470.4 KB · Views: 5
I candled the eggs last night and I *think* I saw a foot! When I checked the other 4, I’m like 80% sure they are still doing well. I didn’t want to fuss with them too much.

today I’m setting up the “maternity” ward in a 5’x10’ run that I will separate into 2 “rooms” for both mommas. I am putting down a layer of large cut pine shavings in the entire run and both will have a small waterer & feeder. They will also have their own “bed” of straw inside a nesting box.

All 5 eggs came from my chocolate silkie pictured here. She is on 1 egg and the other 4 are under a surrogate GLW
Oh ym gosh! Gorgeous, im sure you did see a foot! Congratulation! I dont think your missing anything!

Looks awesome! Congrats!
Add chick grit in a separate bowl in the feed station. My chicks don't usually eat it, but if they're outside I like to add it for peace of mind. Know knows what they'll find out there to eat. :D ;)
Adding little roosts for the chicks to practice on can be fun. I put my bantams and broody in with the other bantams when they were 5 weeks old. The roosts had to be 3 feet of the ground, (tiny little Serum's I'm talking about) and they were perching on them in the first few days. 💗
Your setup sounds awesome! Congrats on your soon to be hatching babies!

Looks awesome! Congrats!
Add chick grit in a separate bowl in the feed station. My chicks don't usually eat it, but if they're outside I like to add it for peace of mind. Know knows what they'll find out there to eat. :D ;)
Adding little roosts for the chicks to practice on can be fun. I put my bantams and broody in with the other bantams when they were 5 weeks old. The roosts had to be 3 feet of the ground, (tiny little Serum's I'm talking about) and they were perching on them in the first few days. 💗
Your setup sounds awesome! Congrats on your soon to be hatching babies!
Yes, thats always good! Make sure to rinse the roots to avoid bugs and dirt. Sometimes i find little plushies in there are nice, but it gets pooped on a lot so be prepared to get rid of a old one if you do.

Would it be helpful to add DE to the soil before laying down the pine shavings? Or fresh coop/garden/poultry dust etc?

here is a pic of the run prior to set up

and got it for the grit. Do moms need any oyster shells or layer feed? Will they be okay nutritionally with the chick starter?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
Do moms need any oyster shells or layer feed? Will they be okay nutritionally with the chick starter?
The mothers will be fine with the chick starter until they are ready to lay eggs again.

You can put in a dish of oyster shell if you like, because then the hens can get it when they are ready. (But I would wait until the chicks are at least a week old, so they already know what "food" tastes like. They will probably sample the oyster shell just to see what it is, but shouldn't eat enough to hurt themselves.)

Would it be helpful to add DE to the soil before laying down the pine shavings? Or fresh coop/garden/poultry dust etc?

here is a pic of the run prior to set up

and got it for the grit. Do moms need any oyster shells or layer feed? Will they be okay nutritionally with the chick starter?
That setup looks great! A good size for chicks and mom. Only problem is see, is that you are it wrapped in chicken wire. Predators such as raccoons, coyotes, etc, will be able to tear through chicken wire easily. They wont be able to get into the pen because its made of heavy steel, but coons will grab adult chickens and try to pull them through the wire killing them. They will be able to pull chicks through that wire though.
Don't want to worry you, but its definitly soemthgin to keep in mind. With my dog kennel chick setups, I wrap the inside in chicken wire, then wrap another layer of hardware cloth or welded wire over the top of that to keep chicks in, and predators out.

Chicks will be perfectly fine on chick starter, and mom will not need OS or Layer feed since she sent be laying for multiple months while she's raising the chicks. Mom and babies can all eat chick starter. :)
I wouldn't worry about DE, or other dusts. Unless you have a current lice or mite issue, theres no need. DE is ineffective against mites or lice anyway, you wold need Permethrin dust for that.
Happy hatching keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom