Possible hernia?

Jan 21, 2022
PNW
B85A78E0-336F-4898-987E-C208B7319445.jpeg
Hi all. I just had a chick hatch with what I think is a hernia. Am I correct? It was pipping for over 36 hours and the last of the clutch, the first one hatched out Friday with day 21 being Sunday. Most of the shell was gone on the top, but it hadn’t broken through the membrane so I made the call to help it by breaking through the membrane for it. Once that was done it hatched out the rest of the way. But I did notice that it looks like it has a hernia. Am I correct? It seems strong with a will to live. Also has a good set of lungs. I do have a broody hen that took the other 8 that hatched out. But she rejected this one. Going to try to slip it underneath her tonight after she goes to bed to see if she’ll accept it. Or should I leave it in the brooder box until it heals? I feel so bad cause it’s all alone. This is my first time hatching out chicks and am at a loss what to do. So I turn to experts for advice.

View attachment 3202351Hi all. I just had a chick hatch with what I think is a hernia. Am I correct? It was pipping for over 36 hours and the last of the clutch, the first one hatched out Friday with day 21 being Sunday. Most of the shell was gone on the top, but it hadn’t broken through the membrane so I made the call to help it by breaking through the membrane for it. Once that was done it hatched out the rest of the way. But I did notice that it looks like it has a hernia. Am I correct? It seems strong with a will to live. Also has a good set of lungs. I do have a broody hen that took the other 8 that hatched out. But she rejected this one. Going to try to slip it underneath her tonight after she goes to bed to see if she’ll accept it. Or should I leave it in the brooder box until it heals? I feel so bad cause it’s all alone. This is my first time hatching out chicks and am at a loss what to do. So I turn to experts for advice.
It should heal up on its own, I believe it's just a small part of the yolk sac.
You can put a little Neosporin on it and slip it under the momma hen with the others. :)

Back
Top Bottom