Possible idea to manage coop waste/cleaning

Here is what I buy on Amazon, price plus tax, takes a couple of weeks to get so order ahead.
I think I must have gotten the same, RentACoop brand. Mine came pretty quickly too, but I see now if I were to order more today, it's taking a week to arrive, so definitely don't count on two-day. Comparing cost, (I *think* it's the same size bales) Carolina Coops is only charging $45 per, but then factor in shipping and to deliver to my area at least, it's really only *slightly* cheaper to order from CC. If you needed to order more though they also have quantity pricing available, as well.

I think I must have gotten the same, RentACoop brand. Mine came pretty quickly too, but I see now if I were to order more today, it's taking a week to arrive, so definitely don't count on two-day. Comparing cost, (I *think* it's the same size bales) Carolina Coops is only charging $45 per, but then factor in shipping and to deliver to my area at least, it's really only *slightly* cheaper to order from CC. If you needed to order more though they also have quantity pricing available, as well.
For me it doubled the cost and I'm only in Florida, which made the one on Amazon more cost efficient for me. It's a little Dusty but if I put it in in the morning, by the time they want to go in it at night the dust is settled.

WoW! You guys are so smart! I am going to have to try the scoop and would like to try the PDZ in my turkey barn. Is that PDZ safe for them to ingest? They are so overly cautious that they would probably not walk on it for a while lol.-lava

I used to use PDZ on the pee spots in my horse stall (rubber matted floor), which was great for odor. Also, I'd sprinkle a tiny bit on chicken poops the girls left inside the barn (concrete flooring) before picking poops later. PDZ seems very dusty and expensive for chicken coops, though. For a sand-type product, what about some type of non-chemical bagged sand? Just thinking.

My pooper scooper is a plastic cat litter scoop with the handle stuck down into a short piece of plastic PVC pipe, like one of those DIY plumbing repair pieces. I put a little screw through each side, then duct taped around that end. Been using this for years now ;)

This is similar-ish to what I have. I used some wood planks to section off the area under the roost, and put in hemp instead of wood chips (the bedding in the rest of the coop) as it's lower in dust and easier to sift.
Where did you get your hemp? Can't buy it locally here in MN, but I'm interested in trying it instead of pine shavings. I've looked around online and it seems everyone is out of stock.

Edit: I should have kept reading, as I see many people asked. 😳

This is similar-ish to what I have. I used some wood planks to section off the area under the roost, and put in hemp instead of wood chips (the bedding in the rest of the coop) as it's lower in dust and easier to sift. I duct taped a litter box scoop to a broom handle and that makes it much easier to sift out poops while standing up.

View attachment 3130296
This is similar-ish to what I have. I used some wood planks to section off the area under the roost, and put in hemp instead of wood chips (the bedding in the rest of the coop) as it's lower in dust and easier to sift. I duct taped a litter box scoop to a broom handle and that makes it much easier to sift out poops while standing up.

View attachment 3130296
@rosemarythyme is hemp heavy? I have a mobile coop and looking for something light.

Back
Top Bottom