Possible impacted crop?

Right, that's what I meant -a softener šŸ‘I did some research on that, NO Laxatives! She pretty much just picks around the grit in her food, she doesn't like having any when I put it to the side... guessing she was not eating little rocks outside like the rest of them. I have massaged it quite a bit and it's pretty hard and doesn't really move much, but I'm going to keep trying to massage it everyday. I do leave food out for her all the time becuase shes never been one to eat a lot of food like my other piggies! I just want to make sure she has it when shes hungry. The crop (soft stuff above her hard walnut) does empty every night like normal, so I know shes not all blocked up and poops just fine, no weird colors or anything- just a little green from her two blueberries.
I would still provide the grit free choice (in a separate dish) birds don't necessarily have to consume grit everyday - they will pick up a few pieces and those pieces lodge in the gizzard to help grind up foods. Once the pieces "wear down" then they are passed on through the intestines and out.

Keep us posted on how she's doing.

I always wondered what happened to those Little Rockā€™s they eat! TY for all of the great info everyone
LOL You may actually find some in their poop at times - very tiny and smooth like they have been polished.
hmmm....maybe I look at too much poop :hmm:lol:

Update: tried castor oil this time. Its been over a week and Its not gone. Two days ago I decided she's still acting perfectly healthy and that shes losing her mind in a kennel and seriously needs a dust bath, I let her back out to coop/free range in the yard hoping shed have some small sand/grit (She wont eat any in a dish or in her food) She's still acting normal and seems healthy. Still fills her crop and empties at night- with the exception of a walnut or marble sized hard lump. šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø I'll continue to monitor her, but theres no other issues with her. I'll admit she gets picked on more now that she was missing from the flock for a week... didn't know my silkie was secretly a monster ā˜¹

Iā€™m not an expert by any means but Iā€™ve heard when you isolate a bird from the flock it disrupts the pecking order. Apparently itā€™s a real thing!!

do you think perhaps the walnut is simply your crop and maybe part of her anatomy? Iā€™m just thinking out loud. I have a white leghorn that I swore had the same issue. Sheā€™s much smaller than the others and I thought she had an impacted crop too. That was several weeks ago and there seems to be no issue. Good luck and keep us posted.

Well I'd say that it turns out to be very true! I was concerned about that so after a few days I put the kennel in the yard while the girls were free ranging and the two attacked and tried pulling feathers out. Then after a week I released her back into Gen Pop and my silkie (much smaller) goes out of her way to peck her, but before isolation they were friends, both being the smallest ones in the flock. Then the top hen attacks her whenever they cross paths. Everyone else doesn't seem to care about her absence, I don't know why these two are being jerks now. šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø
I was curious if it was her anatomy too, but after reviewing a chart it suggests in that area there should only be a crop... unless her heart is enlarged. I have compared her with my silkie (being small) and her brother (being same breed) and no one else has lump there šŸ˜£
What was the conclusion of your leghorn?

Last edited:
My leghorn is a sweet girl and seems to be okay. I keep thinking she has a lump too especially compared to the others and she is smaller than the others. I sent a photo for others to offer feedback and there didnā€™t seem to be any concern other than to monitor it.
One of the posts here mentioned that it should be completely flat in the morning. My girls crop is never completely flat like the other birds, but she is my only leghorn so Iā€™m wondering if it is normal or Iā€™m blind and she actually has a problem.

how did you get the oil down your chicks throat?

My 10 wk old Light Brahma had a crop the size of a golf all this evening. Yet she was continuing to eat like she was hungry. She'd lay down for a bit, then get up and keep eating. It's been worrying me as she's been doing this for a few hours. Her crop was very hard. I let them all settle down for the night then went and snatched her and gave her a teaspoon of coconut oil I had waiting in the freezer that I could break up and give to her. She ate it like candy, and I massaged her crop for about 10 minutes on and off. It seems to have softened up. Fingers crossed. This particular chicken is my 6 year old daughter's favorite. I know I may have jumped the gun a bit but I don't want to take the chance. I don't think a bit of coconut oil is going to do any harm.

Back
Top Bottom