Possible impacted crop?

How is your lady? Mine has the same issue and coconut oil isnt really doing anything... i think it's been staying the same size. šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø if anything, it's NOT getting bigger so that's a plus. I'm just curious if you found something that worked for your baby so I can try it on mine!
Thanks!

My girl is doing very well!! I think she just turned part pig that day!! Her crop is rather large when she goes to roost just about every night but it empties every morning.

So sorry that your girl is still not feeling well!! Hope she feels better soon!

My 10 wk old Light Brahma had a crop the size of a golf all this evening. Yet she was continuing to eat like she was hungry. She'd lay down for a bit, then get up and keep eating. It's been worrying me as she's been doing this for a few hours. Her crop was very hard. I let them all settle down for the night then went and snatched her and gave her a teaspoon of coconut oil I had waiting in the freezer that I could break up and give to her. She ate it like candy, and I massaged her crop for about 10 minutes on and off. It seems to have softened up. Fingers crossed. This particular chicken is my 6 year old daughter's favorite. I know I may have jumped the gun a bit but I don't want to take the chance. I don't think a bit of coconut oil is going to do any harm.
The coconut oil won't hurt her.

I would re-check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat or drink (and she's slept through the night with no access to food/water). If the crop is not empty in the morning, then let us know.

It's not uncommon for a bird to have a full crop during the day and especially at night before roosting. It should be full at night. They eat, rest, poop and repeat LOL So the crop is going to be in various stages of fullness during the day. You'll see them "fill up" before roosting so they have food to process overnight.

The coconut oil won't hurt her.

I would re-check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat or drink (and she's slept through the night with no access to food/water). If the crop is not empty in the morning, then let us know.

It's not uncommon for a bird to have a full crop during the day and especially at night before roosting. It should be full at night. They eat, rest, poop and repeat LOL So the crop is going to be in various stages of fullness during the day. You'll see them "fill up" before roosting so they have food to process overnight.
I know, I'm going to check her first thing in the morning. I left the water in there because it's so hot, but I did take their feeder out.

I'm just happy that it seemed to soften up before I put her back in the coop.

Thank you so much!!!

Her crop was empty this morning! I think she just stuffed herself to the gills yesterday and I just happened to notice it, haha. But thank you, now I know what to do if in the future this does occur!!
My experience with impacted crop had the chicken looking sick. Wings held low and away from the body, tail dropping down and chicken allowed me to pick him up.

I know, I'm going to check her first thing in the morning. I left the water in there because it's so hot, but I did take their feeder out.

I'm just happy that it seemed to soften up before I put her back in the coop.
You should be able to tell if in the morning if it's gone down and if she's just drank water, by the feel of it.

Do you provide grit for your chicks?

Let us know what you find out in the morning - if it's empty or there is still concern.

You should be able to tell if in the morning if it's gone down and if she's just drank water, by the feel of it.

Do you provide grit for your chicks?

Let us know what you find out in the morning - if it's empty or there is still concern.
She's fine! It's a teensy bit squishy but I expect she drank a bit of water this morning. Yes I give them grit. There are also alot of rocks in my yard so they probably eat those too.

Back
Top Bottom