Possible injury on my chickens leg

Jpiazza8387

In the Brooder
Jun 28, 2022
Hi! I have a hen who was running in the backyard. She got scared of the dog and rolled. I think that’s how she injured herself. She is hopping on one foot. The injured leg feels hot and today looks swollen. There are no cuts or wounds. What should I do. She is eating a drinking normally and doesn’t seem to be in pain in a particular area. Thank you for your advice in advance!

Hi! I have a hen who was running in the backyard. She got scared of the dog and rolled. I think that’s how she injured herself. She is hopping on one foot. The injured leg feels hot and today looks swollen. There are no cuts or wounds. What should I do. She is eating a drinking normally and doesn’t seem to be in pain in a particular area. Thank you for your advice in advance!
Chickens are really good at concealing pain. You might restrict her movements in a cage or small pen. Does her leg feel broken?

Chickens are really good at concealing pain. You might restrict her movements in a cage or small pen. Does her leg feel broken?
I put her in a small area in the coop. She’s laying there for now. I don’t think it feels broken. To be honest I can’t tell. I put a splint on it using some popsicle sticks to keep it straight

I hope it's just a strain. It sounds like you're doing the right thing keeping her separate. I'm doing the same thing right now with a rooster who has a limp I can't figure out (posted for help this morning but no response yet). Update when you can?

I put her in a small area in the coop. She’s laying there for now. I don’t think it feels broken. To be honest I can’t tell. I put a splint on it using some popsicle sticks to keep it straight
The splint is good. You can use medical tape or vetwrap to keep the popsicle stick to her leg. I read that 1/4 or an aspirin tablet is okay to give her for pain. You might want to put it in a grape or price of bread or something to make it tempting. Keep her contained until her foot seems better, and if there are any cut on her feet, you can spray them with the vetrycerin.

The splint is good. You can use medical tape or vetwrap to keep the popsicle stick to her leg. I read that 1/4 or an aspirin tablet is okay to give her for pain. You might want to put it in a grape or price of bread or something to make it tempting. Keep her contained until her foot seems better, and if there are any cut on her feet, you can spray them with the vetrycerin.
Ok thank you! There is not cut at all, I keep checking. It looks like the swelling went down a little. There is a bump in the middle of her leg which is now where I think the injury is. I will give her some aspirin to see if that helps her. Thank you all for your responses and I will keep you updated!

Back
Top Bottom