Possible intestinal blockage in my drake.

quackerbox

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 14, 2012
Hello. I have a six and a half year old mallard drake. Today our vet told us that there is a good chance he has an intestinal blockage. She only dabbles a bit in birds. We live in the middle of nowhere, so we are happy to have her even though she admits she is out of her comfort zone with birds. Our little duck man, Nathaniel, is still eating, drinking, and pooping. His droppings are very wet and sloppy. Sometimes they are mostly water. His lower abdomen feels hard and full. I am wondering if there is anything I can do to help him? The vet said he is too old to operate on. I don't want him to suffer. I'm hoping I can do something before we get to the point I have to have him put down, which will probably be soon. I love this little guy to pieces. He and another duck have had a bout of diarrhea and have been on antibiotics. The other duck got better. His belly has gotten noticeably larger over this last week. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hello. I have a six and a half year old mallard drake. Today our vet told us that there is a good chance he has an intestinal blockage. She only dabbles a bit in birds. We live in the middle of nowhere, so we are happy to have her even though she admits she is out of her comfort zone with birds. Our little duck man, Nathaniel, is still eating, drinking, and pooping. His droppings are very wet and sloppy. Sometimes they are mostly water. His lower abdomen feels hard and full. I am wondering if there is anything I can do to help him? The vet said he is too old to operate on. I don't want him to suffer. I'm hoping I can do something before we get to the point I have to have him put down, which will probably be soon. I love this little guy to pieces. He and another duck have had a bout of diarrhea and have been on antibiotics. The other duck got better. His belly has gotten noticeably larger over this last week. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Honestly not sure what you could do other than maybe try adding some good organic olive oil to his feed to see if that gets things moving. You say they have been on antibiotics and that can cause it's own set of problems since they kill good and bad bacteria. Do you have them on any probiotics? You can find them for livestock at the feed store it's a powder. of you can use any probiotic but those used for livestock would be best since they are formulated for animals. Also add some ACV to their drinking water. 1-2 tab to 1 gal of fresh water. this is used a a tonic and ACV can kill some bacteria. Does you vet think your duck may have eaten something that is lodged in his intestine? I would think he wouldn't be able to poop if he had a blockage but i don't know much about this. My ducks poop changes from wet and sloppy to just about water on a daily basis and I see it as normal but Mine haven't been sick. Not sure i helped at all but do want to say I hope your little fellow pulls through.

Last edited:
Just some instinctive ideas - first, probiotics like Miss Lydia suggested.

Then how about making a wet slurry of plain oatmeal, flaxseed meal, and just a tiny bit of vinegar for electrolytes? Like, half a cup of water, quarter teaspoon vinegar, tablespoon of oatmeal, teaspoon of flaxseed meal. And a half a teaspoon of food grade activated charcoal powder.

My reasoning - the oatmeal and the flax have both mucilage and fiber, the vinegar electrolytes, and the charcoal absorbs toxins. None of it harmful.

Thank you, Miss Lydia, and Amiga. I have added probiotics and ACV to the water. I'll sure give the slurry a try. I have everything I need to make a batch when I get done here. The vet told me that when their intestines become inflamed they will stick together and make a mass. She thinks it's from his digestive issues we were trying to clear up earlier. He looks a wee bit better today. Still has the mass in his belly, but his belly doesn't look so full. He is still eating, drinking, and rooting in the mud with the other ducks. I have noticed that he is passing a lot of water. Sometimes it is white colored. I sure appreciate your suggestions. Thank you so much!

Thank you, Miss Lydia, and Amiga. I have added probiotics and ACV to the water. I'll sure give the slurry a try. I have everything I need to make a batch when I get done here. The vet told me that when their intestines become inflamed they will stick together and make a mass. She thinks it's from his digestive issues we were trying to clear up earlier. He looks a wee bit better today. Still has the mass in his belly, but his belly doesn't look so full. He is still eating, drinking, and rooting in the mud with the other ducks. I have noticed that he is passing a lot of water. Sometimes it is white colored. I sure appreciate your suggestions. Thank you so much!
Please keep us updated, it may take a few days to see normal poop if there is such a thing in ducks but hopefully all your doing will make a difference and the fact he is still enjoying life means alot.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom