Possible Leg Injury? Bumblefoot Unlikely

Chicken update! Flourbum is doing well! She's able to ever-so-slightly put weight on her bad leg. She's also digging a bit with it and using it to scritch her head. There is a lot more strength in the leg as a whole than there was a few days ago, and she is starting to be able to use her toes again. She's been getting spoiled inside and has a voracious appetite. Today she scarfed down half of a banana (and made a huge mess doing it). She also made a rather impressive doo on the towels when she was sitting on the couch this morning. She's super alert and energetic, so yay! I hope she'll be fixed up soon so that I can reintroduce her to the flock. Hopefully she'll be able to slip into her previous position and won't be bullied (she was near the top ranks).

I've learned a few things that can help during reintegration & posted them on the Flock Peacekeeping page on my site, if they might be useful.
Very glad she'd doing well!!

Glad to hear she's better! It does sound like it was a simple sprain. And all it takes to get over that, is rest. You could always try the "RICE" method (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation) but I don't see a chicken being too cooperative about having her leg iced down, wrapped up with bandages, and then somehow propped up...

Yeah, just go with the rest! LOL!

I've learned a few things that can help during reintegration & posted them on the Flock Peacekeeping page on my site, if they might be useful.
Very glad she'd doing well!!
Thanks! When my husband and I put the coop together, we integrated a door inside the run that can be closed to create a sectioned-off chunk of the run. I was planning on putting her in there for a few days with one of her clutch sisters before putting them in with the rest of the flock after dark and opening it up again. That way she has a buddy and there's also more bodies to keep warm since it's getting chilly out now. It worked awesomely when we introduced our two new Copper Marans hens a few months ago.

Good news! Missy Flourbum seems to be pretty much 100% mended! I've been letting her exercise her leg for a few hours daily by letting her out of the cage when I get home from work to run about on the sun porch and today she was practically bounding back and forth inside the room, wings all a'flap. I'll be giving her another few days to really rest up, and then it will be out to the quarantine section of the coop with two of her flockmates for company for a few more days! Hopefully she will be back with everyone by this weekend!

Back
Top Bottom