Possible lice problems

Quote:
Here is a link that will help you from the experts. It's best to put sevin dust in an old pillow case. Put the chicken in the pillow case with its head sticking out at the opening of the pillow case. Hold her by the neck and bottom. Then gently "shake and bake." The dust will cover her whole body, remove her from the pillow case and put some of the sevin dust on your fingers and rub it on her neck and head....avoid the eyes and nostrils, then release her. She'll shake herself off and go about her business. Wear old clothes and a mask.
http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

Thank you very much for the info. I sure never would have though of doing that, though I was close to ringing the neck of one of those chickens as I chased it around the chicken run.

Pillow case is a good idea. I use a cheese shaker, like the ones in an Italian restaraunt. I catch the chicken off the roost at night (much less stress on all concerned), then I hold the bird upside down, by the legs and dust them under the tail and wings, around the vent, and all over. Some will get in the face, but try to keep it out of the face, if possible. Fluff it in with your free hand and put the bird back on the roost. Yes, it does need to be on the skin. Repeat in 10 days. It`s not a bad job, but it has to be done.

For severe infestations, use Adams Flea and Tick Dip. Mix as directed in a 5 gal. bucket. Dip the bird in up to the top of the neck and swish around a little to get the liquid onto the skin. This job has to be done on a warm day so the birds can dry, so it`s not as easy as catching them off the roost. Spray the entire area with the mixture, nests, roosts, everything. No need to repeat in 10 days as you can smell it for a month (not objectionable).
Hope some of this helps. I hate the little vampires.........Pop

Back
Top Bottom