Possible maran? BSL? Gender?

Leolorelei

Chirping
Aug 23, 2018
Iowa
I just picked up this pretty thing yesterday from a mixed flock that's being dispersed. The person assisting me was a friend and not the owner, and could not give me much info. I picked it because it was too pretty not to, and something in my mind said I knew that coloring belonged to a breed I was interested in getting in the future.

It finally dawned on me that maybe it was a black copper maran?? Mainly black, with pretty penciling on the neck, and feathered shanks. Grey colored legs. Sorry the pics aren't the best, it's rather flighty... hoping for a pullet, no matter what it is! There is also the chance it's some sort of weird mutt, there was a menagerie of birds of different species there. I also realize the coloring is very like BSL as well, but I'm not sure they have feathered shanks?

Just wondering if anyone can help me with gender and breed feedback?

Thank you in advance!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181201-204102_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20181201-204102_Gallery.jpg
    386.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20181201-203930_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20181201-203930_Gallery.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20181201-010143_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20181201-010143_Gallery.jpg
    344.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20181201-231435_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20181201-231435_Gallery.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 17
Can you get a good look at the feet bottoms to tell what color the are? BSL can have feathered shanks if feather shanked breeds are used in the cross.....but most are derived from clean legged crossings if from commercial sources(hatchery, etc) vs private flocks where an individual may be using less common crossings

Black sex links wouldn't have feathered legs, so she isn't one of them. I think her coloring is off for a BCM, though. The standard calls for a solid black body with no brown spotting, except a little at the breast is acceptable. So I think you have some kind of mix-- maybe a BCM mix, maybe not. She is pretty and looks healthy, so I think she was a good buy regardless.

Thank you so much, all! Consensus seems to be a pullet as I had hoped, hooray! :celebrate I'm perfectly fine with my probably a little mutt bird, I was curious what others would have to say about her breed. Definitely not SOP, but whatever she is, I'm happy with my $5 birdie~ :love
Can you get a good look at the feet bottoms to tell what color the are? BSL can have feathered shanks if feather shanked breeds are used in the cross.....but most are derived from clean legged crossings if from commercial sources(hatchery, etc) vs private flocks where an individual may be using less common crossings
I will try to get ahold of her today. I am trying not to spook her too badly since she just moved and all. There's no telling... the only fluffy footed birds I saw there were silkies and cochins, but I don't know what may have already been taken.
Black sex links wouldn't have feathered legs, so she isn't one of them. I think her coloring is off for a BCM, though. The standard calls for a solid black body with no brown spotting, except a little at the breast is acceptable. So I think you have some kind of mix-- maybe a BCM mix, maybe not. She is pretty and looks healthy, so I think she was a good buy regardless.
That's what I was reading. She won't be going anywhere else regardless of whether she is or not. XD I was just curious if I had added a new egg color, really. Suppose I will see within the next few months...:fl:woot
Body type seems right for a Marans, but coloration is a little wonky. Thinking she's likely a crossbreed, considering her origination. Absolutely lovely, regardless. :love

~Alex
Yeah... very likely. That was pretty much what I was gathering from my reading, but thought I would reach out to folks who know much more than me on the breed/chickens in general. I still have so much to learn! XD I still like her regardless!!

Back
Top Bottom