Possible Mareks/B2 deficiency?

chicken4prez

Free Ranging
6 Years
Jun 14, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Hi there. Recently two of my chickens have been acting quite strange. They are around 5 months old. The first pullet my sister found one morning and she collapsed at her feet so we separated her, gave her some electrolytes and food and water. That lasted for over a week and she just died a few days ago. The first day we found her she could walk a bit but she was raising her legs to her chest when she walked. The next day she had some sort of seizure (she started kicking and gasping for air. We figured that she was dying but she did last a few more days surprisingly) and her legs were splayed behind her and her toes were curling a bit. I thought of Mareks at first but as I did more research there seemed to be more of her symptoms pointing to a B2 deficiency instead. A few days before the first pullets death (her name was Flopsy) I spotted another pullet named Terrie who was having some trouble walking. So I also separated her and she's been having trouble walking (legs splayed a bit and toes curled) but she didn't have that "seizure" that Flopsy had until this morning. Flopsy was a lot lighter than Terrie is so that's another thing. After Flopsy couldn't walk we brought her inside, put her in a box, wrapped a towel over her and changed it every day, gave her food and water every hour or so to make sure that she was very comfortable. Another detail is that her poop smelled very bad.

I'm thinking that since we spotted Terrie earlier and were giving her extra care that's why she didn't have this "seizure" that Flopsy did as soon. I hope I'm making some sort of sense, this all has been stressing me out and my brain is a bit more foggy than usual. I'll attach some photos and videos of how Terrie is acting and I do have one of Flopsy but it's just her in a box so it's not that helpful. I'm really hoping that it's not Mareks because they have been with the rest of my flock for a bit now. No other chickens have been displaying the symptoms that Terrie and Flopsy are having though so that's making me think that it could be a vitamin deficiency. I would really appreciate some help with finding what's making them so sick and hopefully help them out. I've been doing a lot of research over the past week but I figured that I should just make my own thread since every situation is unique. Thanks all for your time.

^ youtube video on how Terrie is acting. That was taken about 10 mins ago.

IMG_1660.jpg
^ That's a picture of Flopsy when she was inside our house.

IMG_1716.jpg
^ Terrie

I'm sorry to hear you lost Flopsy and that Terrie is not doing well :(

It very well could be Marek's disease. Sadly there's no cure or even real treatment for Marek's disease.
You can try giving Terrie vitamin therapy to see if that helps. I would give her 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily. See that she's eating her chick starter and drinking well. A bit of eggs daily may be beneficial as well.

The only way to find out what is affecting them is to have a necropsy performed if you lose another. https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/...ls-and-crops/animal-health/pathology-necropsy

I'm sorry to hear you lost Flopsy and that Terrie is not doing well :(

It very well could be Marek's disease. Sadly there's no cure or even real treatment for Marek's disease.
You can try giving Terrie vitamin therapy to see if that helps. I would give her 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily. See that she's eating her chick starter and drinking well. A bit of eggs daily may be beneficial as well.

The only way to find out what is affecting them is to have a necropsy performed if you lose another. https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/...ls-and-crops/animal-health/pathology-necropsy
Thank you.

Ah yes I was reading about that. I was really hoping that it wouldn't be Marek's but I knew that it was highly likely. We've been giving her chick food mixed with eggs daily and she's been gobbling that down. We just went out and grabbed a b-complex bottle.
IMG_1719.JPG
IMG_1721 2.jpg

Some of the other b-complex vitamins had higher mgs in each pill so would you recommend giving her 1/4 of a pill from this brand? Thank you so much for your response!

That has over twice a much riboflavin as the b complex which normally has 20 mg, so yes, 1/4 tablet would be more than enough. With vitamin B’s they will excrete any excess out of the body.
How would I give her it? Should I dissolve it in water or can I just pop it in her mouth?

I dissolved 1/4 of the pill in water and fed it to her last night. I also gave her chick food and she was eating that like crazy. I noticed that she is starting to smell a lot like Flopsy did so I checked her bum and it’s runny and quite gross. I took some pictures so I’ll attach them here. It almost looked a little bloody to me but after I took the pictures I didn’t really see any blood in them.
B00B7CB8-1C39-48B5-826E-8933B4AEDE46.jpeg 66EDE0E1-DD9C-4AE7-A4E2-A6574C3C0B4E.jpeg

I dissolved 1/4 of the pill in water and fed it to her last night. I also gave her chick food and she was eating that like crazy. I noticed that she is starting to smell a lot like Flopsy did so I checked her bum and it’s runny and quite gross. I took some pictures so I’ll attach them here. It almost looked a little bloody to me but after I took the pictures I didn’t really see any blood in them.
View attachment 2322398View attachment 2322399
You may need to wash and dry her a few times a day.
Since she's not mobile, she's laying in her own waste and getting soiled.
You can try making her a sling to get her more upright for short monitored periods of time, make a hole in the back of the sling for droppings to fall through, this may help keep her cleaner.

Back
Top Bottom