Possible Mareks?

Aschuchert

Songster
9 Years
Nov 3, 2014
Tempe
Hi,
We have 1month old Wyandotte, pictured below. Tonight noticed its walking on back legs and feet are turned in. Also in picture.
Ideas if this is mareks? Other possible issues?
I know she wasn't vaccinated, breeder we got from doesn't do any.
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_5548.jpg
    IMG_5548.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 9
It is possible that the chick has a riboflavin deficiency that might respond to giving some extra riboflavin (B2) vitamins for a couple of weeks. Mareks symptoms do not show up in such young chicks, but usually when they are several months old. Three weeks old is the very youngest one might see symptoms. Leg bone deformities cannbe common in new chicks, but I would try the vitamins. A 1/4 of a human B complex tablet crushed into food or a spoonfull of water daily would be enough.

I have no idea but you can search mareks here there are plenty of articles until one of the pro's can help . what is the feed she is on? Are there any others sick?

All, well we are 4 month on and she hasn't gotten worse - or better so I'm ruling this a crooked spine. We keep her and her 2 Brahma companions separate just in case..... but she and her pose are a hoot in the goat pen where we moved them last month. Now we just have to watch her egg production since Wry hens often get egg peritonitis when their eggs grow in size......booo.

Back
Top Bottom