Possible mites?

:confused:
Is she eating and drinking well?
She's drinking a lot but still not eating.
In the picture there are specks on the comb—possibly peck marks, possibly fowl pox scabs if it is hot where you live if mosquitoes are out. Where are you located? Can you separate her in a dog crate with food and water inside your coop, and give her some chopped egg or tuna in addition to her usual chicken feed?
I'm in southern Utah. She's separated right now in a crate with some water in it. I'm hoping that it was just that she wasn't getting enough water instead of it being some disease, and as the water goes through her system she'll start feeling better. And I had fowl pox last July-August because the mosquitos were bad. I read that like chicken pox it won't come back once they've had it?

When certain hens in my flock get a bald &/or red spot on their back, I assume it's from the Rooster standing/grabbing on their back & breeding them often. If it gets red, feathers plucked, or bleeding I apply a No Pick solution (it's red & has a fragrant smell) from the feed store that deters the other hens from plucking out quills, pecking & also helps the hens skin heal. A couple of my hens were getting over plucked by other hens & I found some chicken aprons online that worked well as long as the apron was left on long enough for their feathers to come out of the quills all the way, leaving no tell tale signs that it had ever happened.

My flock always has a big plastic tray available for dust bathing for mite control: wood ash, sand & a little DE; they just love it. Best wishes.

Disinfect everything
:confused:
I'm not understanding what you are trying to disinfect...but what I don't understand is not important.

I am pretty sure that this mixture will not kill disease...You may want to invest in some Virkon if you are worried about disease, but at this point if there is disease everyone has already been exposed.

I'm more on the side of thinking that she wasn't eating well.

your chicken might just be mulching. if she has mites they are easy to check for and can be noticed around the eye area. if she does have mites I suggest diatomaceous earth powder, sprinkling it on the chickens and in their coop, there are also certain sprays for mites I suggest.
Hi there.
I think you might want to know that the correct term is molting, not mulching.
Don't worry...someone once had to teach me too.
It's what we do here..help each other.
:D

If you still have her body, you can refrigerate it and send it in to your state vet or poultry lab for a necropsy. If that is not possible, sometimes opening the body and having a look at the abdominal contents, inside of the crop, gizzard, intestines can be helpful in trying to figure out what her problem was. Sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom