Possible mites?

Colt Frost

Chirping
Feb 3, 2018
Southern Utah
I think I may have mites in my coop. One of my hens is losing feathers on her back, I was reading that a good way to treat them is to combine 2 cups water with 1 cup cooking oil and 1 tablespoon of dish soap. Do you spray it on the chickens as well in the coop? Or just in the coop?

your chicken might just be mulching. if she has mites they are easy to check for and can be noticed around the eye area. if she does have mites I suggest diatomaceous earth powder, sprinkling it on the chickens and in their coop, there are also certain sprays for mites I suggest.

First you need to know if you have mites. Do a thread search so you will know what they look like. There are mites, and there are lice. The former come out at night to feed on the bird, the latter live on the bird. For either, you should treat the birds with permethrin, completely clean the coop, destroy the bedding, treat the bedding, then repeat again in 7 - 10 days.

your chicken might just be mulching. if she has mites they are easy to check for and can be noticed around the eye area. if she does have mites I suggest diatomaceous earth powder, sprinkling it on the chickens and in their coop, there are also certain sprays for mites I suggest.
They molted earlier in the year. Do they molt twice a year?
Are you sure its mites?
Do you have a rooster?
How much space do your chickens have?
Here is a link to a post that shows how to identify & treat external parasites: http://thewayofthechicken.com/index.php/2018/02/22/preventing-treating-external-parasites/
I don't fully know, I was just reading that feather loss is a sign. Yes I have a rooster and he's a bit bigger than the hen in question if that effects anything. They have about 360 square feet inside and run combined with 16 chickens, but I also free range them everyday.
First you need to know if you have mites. Do a thread search so you will know what they look like. There are mites, and there are lice. The former come out at night to feed on the bird, the latter live on the bird. For either, you should treat the birds with permethrin, completely clean the coop, destroy the bedding, treat the bedding, then repeat again in 7 - 10 days.
I'm going to completely clean the coop this Saturday then spray a weak bleach formula while they're outside.

They molted earlier in the year. Do they molt twice a year?

I don't fully know, I was just reading that feather loss is a sign. Yes I have a rooster and he's a bit bigger than the hen in question if that effects anything. They have about 360 square feet inside and run combined with 16 chickens, but I also free range them everyday.

I'm going to completely clean the coop this Saturday then spray a weak bleach formula while they're outside.

Definitely doesn't sound like molting. Though I would check for external parasites, Might be rooster damage (to big of a rooster + small/slightly-built hen can = balding on the saddle).

If you use bleach, you need to be absolutely sure all bleach odor is completely eliminated before the birds return to the coop. Do yourself a favor, and pick up a can of permethrin. When you clean the coop, you can dust the perches, nest boxes and floor with it before putting new bedding in. Be sure to dust some permethrin in the space where roost meets wall.

If you use bleach, you need to be absolutely sure all bleach odor is completely eliminated before the birds return to the coop. Do yourself a favor, and pick up a can of permethrin. When you clean the coop, you can dust the perches, nest boxes and floor with it before putting new bedding in. Be sure to dust some permethrin in the space where roost meets wall.
Would a vinegar and hydrogen peroxide spray work the same? It seems safer.

Back
Top Bottom