Possible Mycoplasma - but not MG or MS

mendocinosunris

Songster
9 Years
Feb 11, 2012
Hopland, CA
I picked up several chickens from a person who was overwhelmed with birds. They looked pretty rough when I got them, but there were no outward signs of illness.
I got them home & quarantined them. The next day, I noticed one had gurgling, rasping breathing. No runny nose or bubbly eyes, and she was eating/drinking normally.

I culled her & sent her in for a necropsy.
I got the final necropsy results back from UC Davis. It looks like they suspect mycoplasma, but the tests were negative.
One of the quarantined birds was showing the same symptoms this morning - gurgly sounds while breathing & generally lethargic. I went ahead & culled it.
All the others look & act healthy. ( I wormed them yesterday)

What do you guys think - should I cull the rest of these birds?
If I do cull them, I'm assuming I can process them as meat birds - is this right?

Final Report
Euthanized (headless) pullet.
1. Intestinal parasitism, Ascaridoidea galli infection.
2. Tracheitis, lymphoplasmacytic, lymphofollicular, severe, suspect mycoplasma infection, mycoplasma PCR test
negative.

L a b o r a t o r y F i n d i n g s / D i a g n o s i s
7/18/2012:
The histologic changes in the trachea are suggestive of a subacute to chronic infectious process and mycoplasma would be the
most likely etiology, but in this case the PCR tests for the two common pathogenic species of mycoplasma in poultry were
negative. The lesions in the small intestine are consistent with roundworm infection.
---------------------

B a c t e r i o l o g y
BACTERIAL AEROBIC CULTURE
Results
Lung Swab Mixed flora Rare

B i o t e c h n o l o g y
Avian Influenza matrix gene qRT-PCR
Results
Oropharyngeal Swab Negative

Mycoplasma gallisepticum qPCR
Results
Tracheal Swab Negative

Mycoplasma synoviae qPCR
Results
Tracheal Swab Negative

H i s t o l o g y
Histologic examinations were performed on samples of peripheral nerve, trachea, lung, heart, liver, kidney, spleen, bursa,
crop, proventriculus, ventriculus, small intestine, pancreas, cecum and skeletal muscle. The tissues are in fair
post-mortem condition with more substantial autolysis in the intestinal sections. Significant histologic lesions will be
summarized. In the two sections of trachea examined, there is diffuse mucosal infiltrate consisting of lymphocytes ,
plasma cells, admixed with histiocytic cells and there is formation of lymphoid follicles within the lamina propria of the
mucosa. The lung is histologically unremarkable. The only other abnormalities noted was that in the duodenum and
jejunum, there is widespread multifocal crypt necrosis with pleocellular inflammation likely related to the roundworm
infection (larvae migration), although no larval forms were identified within the lesion.

I am not an expert or vet, but I would say maybe it's too hasty of you to kill them. Based on what I read, seems your chickens have just shown some slight respiratory symptoms. Maybe you should quarantine them first, instead of culling them too soon. I think since they're your pet, maybe they deserve a chance to live. Maybe someone else here can give you some good suggestion to cure them all completely.

Last edited:
I agree with the second post. I wanted to post 5 minutes after you posted but had to feed my animals. Sounds respiratory to me also. If they were mine I would add Tylan powder to their water. My sugestion may be 'off label' depending on the reference, but it worked for my chickens, turkeys, and baby peafowl. I get all my meds from jefferslivestock.com and their site offers a lot of good advice.

dont cull your birds yet,research EVERYTHING you can.It sounds a little like the symptoms of gape worm so be carefull.If the previous owner was overwhelled they may be just in need of clean air,worm treatment and some extra feeding for a few days.I had hens with simular symptoms and it turned out it was just from them being kept in bad dirty conditions(they were breed and raised in a shed with no light) so when they came home they were left loose in the garden and started to make a snorggling sound.Fresh air was totally new to them.So worm,hot mash and maybe give them a warm bath,thourghly drying afterwards with hairdryer and take to your vet.

I recommend that you keep them in quarantine for at least 6 weeks. That should be plenty of time for them to show symptoms of a respiratory disease. I'm glad you wormed them. Worms can weaken the immune system allowing these types of diseases to invade their systems. Remember biosecurity while they're in quarantine and watch them closely for symptoms.

dont cull your birds yet,research EVERYTHING you can.It sounds a little like the symptoms of gape worm so be carefull.If the previous owner was overwhelled they may be just in need of clean air,worm treatment and some extra feeding for a few days.I had hens with simular symptoms and it turned out it was just from them being kept in bad dirty conditions(they were breed and raised in a shed with no light) so when they came home they were left loose in the garden and started to make a snorggling sound.Fresh air was totally new to them.So worm,hot mash and maybe give them a warm bath,thourghly drying afterwards with hairdryer and take to your vet.

Thanks, froggy -
yeah, they were in a pretty bad place. Now they're in a big, clean, dry quarantine pen with all the food they can eat. I wormed them yesterday. They're already looking LOTS better.

I recommend that you keep them in quarantine for at least 6 weeks. That should be plenty of time for them to show symptoms of a respiratory disease. I'm glad you wormed them. Worms can weaken the immune system allowing these types of diseases to invade their systems. Remember biosecurity while they're in quarantine and watch them closely for symptoms.

thanks, dawg - amen to the quarantine & biosecurity. I've got a shoe wash station set up, & nothing comes out of the quarantine pen unless it's washed down & disinfected. I make sure to take care of the quarantine pen last when I do my rounds.

I believe some of the PCR tests will not indicate the infection if the bird has been treated with antibiotics recently. I could be wrong though.

Did they look into ILT since they mentioned tracheitis????? Could be a mild strain as there are many different strains of MG and ILT.

Back
Top Bottom